hauling my 265 express ??

tilewave

Reaction score
i usually keep my 265 express stored at a marina for winter storage but this year i would like to have it hauled home ( approx 50 miles ) to save a few bucks & be able to work on it efficiently over winter. i contacted a local hauler with a good reputation, he told me my boat was too tall to haul. grady told me the boat is 11'8" . add the radar & the trailer height he says will be too tall. but i noticed guys here with the same boat who trailer. can someone educate me further on this subject......thank you

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nothing is too tall to haul if there are no bridges or obstructions.
Hauling companies will re-route the trip to miss the bridges, etc.
Is there a way to your house to make that possible?

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Hauling 265 Express

Doesnt sound right to me ... seems you should be able to trailer that boat .... Where in NJ are you? What hauler did you contact??

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You should be able to haul it, you might need a guy who is willing to do leg work, I'm fairly certain you will need to obtain permits to trailer that boat since it is too wide by law to trailer without them. A good boat hauler does this normally and for you so find a good reputable one and they will take care of it all and plan the route. You may have to pull the boat from a different marina if yours may have to cross where it may be too tall but there are boats eway bigger then ours that get hauled all the time. I'd find a new guy because the one you asked proved hes not reputable just by his answer to you. I had looked at 2 265 Express's in NJ that were for sale about a two years ago and both had trailers and radar's so ti can be done. I have not had mine trailered....yet but hope to maybe take it down to the carolina's one winter for a week or two to do some Giant BFT fishing. Let me know how everything goes and best of luck to you!!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Trucking

13' 6" over the road is the magic number. My 268 Islander on a tri-axel Venture trailer is 12' 0". Not sure why yours is too tall.

The 265 Express is a wide load but that should only be a permit issue. I see lots of boats 9' 6" wide going down the road without wide load signs. Not sure if NJ is 8'6 or 9' 6" wide load.

Try other transporters. May be the type of trailer this guy is using. Not sure your going to save anything transporting it both ways. Buy or rent a trailer?

Where in NJ are you hauling to/from?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Find a new hauler. There are laws governing when you can tow an oversize load in NJ. A hauler towed my Sailfish (with an open array) from MD to NJ. You're wide but not THAT wide and I can't see you being over on height but check.

If you live in a rural area where there are a lot of low hanging trees, you may want to pull the radar or rethink the plan.

tilewave

Reaction score
thanks for the responses. it did seem odd being told my boat was too "tall", ( i never said too "wide"). i am going to check some other haulers. as far as saving money....it will be a significant savings along with the the convenience of being able to do maintenance work whenever i want, having the boat at home. thanks again

gerrys

Reaction score
265 too tall???? I trailered my Marlin 300 from Atlanta to Key Largo WITH the radar on top.

bc282

Reaction score
i have a 282 Sailfish which i tow on a tri-axle trailer.

9.5' beam which is not a factor (just be careful, especially turning)

13.5+' height on trailer with radome mounted to the hard top without a pedastel ; with this kinda height you gotta be careful. in general transportation heights, 14' is the magic #. most areas also travelled by semi trucks can be travelled as long as you remain under this #. so lay down antannas, outriggers, etc. before travel.

if you plan to haul semi-regularly, consider buying a trailer and haul it yourself. same some $ in the long run, more convenient, flexibility.

bc282

Reaction score
there's a nice used tri-axle alum Owens and Sons bunk trailer on THT for sale for. asking $2900 which sounds like a good deal.

freddy063

Reaction score
all bridges have signs, good song, bridge of signs,

invest in a good trailer and do it youself, by the time you get stands and covers and do it 3 times the trailer paided for it self, Theres a few 3 axle trailer out there. heres one , theres a lot http://www.aluminumboattrailer.com/ if your worried about hitting low bridges , install a pole on the front of your truck ,the same height of your boat and if the pole hits, stop. You'll find out the biggest trouble is stopping, I haul a 1994 272 sailfish, been a few times it pushed me farther that I wanted in the time needed.

tilewave

Reaction score
thanks guys i foung someone willing to transport the boat. the 1st hauler wasnt completely wrong though. around exit 130 on the gsp is a low bridge not sure of the overall clearance , thinking around 14'. my boat is 11'8" from lowest keel point to hardtop. add about 7" for radar. 12'3". add trailer height & your getting up there a bit. transporter seems to be confident. thanks for all your responses.
didnt want to ask on THT. as soon as ya mention "grady" they'll have you driving into a bridge on purpose !!

Hungry Ghost

Reaction score
towing

I keep my 28' Marlin on a trailer. Height on trailer is 13.5'. The only time I have trouble is at some gas stations and low hanging trees. I have hauled my boat 200+ miles for special vacations without any troubles crossing many underpasses and draw bridges.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the only problem is the bridge @ 130, they can use 287 or the turnpike, they're biult to handle trucks anyway. Some of the bridges on the Parkway are kinda low especialy when you go past the Essex tolls.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As I stated early in the thread...

A competent hauler can plan alternate routes around low bridges, etc.

tilewave

Reaction score
the boat was hauled no problem, overall height on trailer was about 12'8"
pulled up next to an 18 wheeler and i was few inches lower than it. the 1st hauler i called must not have needed my money ??

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Glad it worked out for you..
It's amazing the crap that people say.
You have to double-check everybody anymore.

Too tall......Gees.....