Headline Crack

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was convinced these were temperature related. Not so sure now. I got one over the winter, very mild up here for winter.
I am going to try to fix it myself. Thinking of the JB Weld plastic/fiberglass product then sanding lightly and painting. Anyone try to do the repair here?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not really sure what you are talking about. A photo would help.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think he was too busy talking about the big one that got away and forgot to put the "r" at the end of "headline". :)

Fish, I'm not overly familiar with your boat. But the headliner is fiberglass/gelcoat? First thing to do - if it's what I'm thinking (pic would help) - is to drill a small hole at the ends of the crack. That will at least prevent it from going further. Then you can V out the crack and fill - any number of products can work. PC-11, MT, I'm sure the JB would work (although I've never used it). Personally, I'd go with thickened epoxy or even kitty hair (if it's bigger), though. But, really, if it's as small as it sounds, there's lots of ways to do this.

Paint it first with any "paint for plastic" as a base. If you can't find that stuff in a matching color, you can now use a paint that is NOT rated for plastic.

Another option would be Spectrum Patch Paste (assuming, still, that this is glass/gel).

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sorry folks. Yea, the plastic headliner in the cabin is the area where the crack is. I'll take some pics when I get to the boat again.
Not a huge deal, I know I can address it. Will def drill the ends to eliminate further crack travel.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, it's plastic. OK. Disregard some of what I said. But, sure, the repair is basically the same. The plastic won't be polyethylene in this use - so that's a good thing!