help: "sea towing" 282 behind mothership

bc282

Reaction score
need some advise on towing.
buddy just took delivery of his steel 65' expedition fishing yacht.
we've discussed towing my 282 behind his boat and using the 282 as the primary fishing platform while the mothership serves as lodging and kitchen.
we're thinking about taking a week for a trek of about 120-130 nautical miles north from home port to explore and fish Kyoquot sound on the WCVI.

the 65' mothership/expedition boat cruises at 8 knots.

should we attempt to tow the 282 at full cruise speed of 8 knots or go slower?

what kind of set up would be recommended to tow the 282 behind the mothership?

How should the 282 be 'bridled" to best facilitate a safe tow?

thx in advance guys :mrgreen:

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
For what it's worth, the one time I had to be towed in by Vessel Assist, the tow boat just hooked up to our bow eye and towed us in at 10 knots. It's probably obvious, but he asked us to lift the motor out of the water.

P1010005.JPG

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have towed many Grady's up and down the inside/outside passage. First order a FLOATING TOW LINE from http://www.mooringlines.com/tow_lines.htm TOP KNOT ! This will save you thousands ! You will have a situation where you forget the tow and run over the tow line (this will prevent this). You want the tow to be at the second stern wave slightly on the back so bow is up (this will be evident when you hit rough water). I've towed at 6kts and 10kts no different except I prefer 6kts when its rough. Bridle the stern of the "big" boat and use the eye on the towed boat. Make a towing line for the towed boat that stays attached to the "eye" and ties to a cleat (tough to hook in seas) also I put two rubber snubbers in this 20' line to absorb "line snap"---- just never know ! I also have a block of wood I put under the motor, held with two bungy's so I don't break the motor uplatch. Top Knot will be able to give you advise on rope size, I had a $400 initial investment, but have had the gear for 5 years now. If you need more, PM me. Fantastic way to way to see the "outside". When we go to dock, just outside the harbor we pull the grady up to the "starboard side" and moor on the "port side" or "visaversa". No sweat. JT