High Voltage

HaulinBass

Reaction score
Does any one know what would cause a high voltage reading? I have a 2 battery set up and when I switch on the one battery my gauge spiked and my GPS gave me a high voltage warning. Could it be just a bad battery? Thanks in advance.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Engine running, I assume? Bad voltage regulator on the alternator would be my guess. Could have been caused by a bad connection in the battery switch, which broke the connection with 1 battery before it connected with the 2nd battery.

seasick

Reaction score
HaulinBass said:
Does any one know what would cause a high voltage reading? I have a 2 battery set up and when I switch on the one battery my gauge spiked and my GPS gave me a high voltage warning. Could it be just a bad battery? Thanks in advance.

Not the battery.
Sounds like a bad selector switch.

Please give exact details of what you did.
Engine running , switch set to...?
Switch changed to...? (engine still running?)
Changed switch by going from, 1 to both to 2
Did spike occur at BOTH position or inbetween 1 and Both, Both and 2 or when 2 was selected.
2 to both to 1
1 to OFF to 2 (bad thing to do)
2 to OFF to 1 ( equally bad thing to do)

catch22

Reaction score
I don't know what type of boat you have, but the first thing that comes to mind is - a 24 volt trolling motor set up.

Either that, or somebody goofed when they wired your batteries, (series, instead of parrelel). Only the positives from any batteries should be connected to the selecter switch. All grounds get connected together, (battery to battery to ground).

A bad regulator would put out higher voltage, but depending on the set-up, it would do it on any switch position, (engine running of course).

HaulinBass

Reaction score
First of all the boat is a 24 Offshore with twin Johnson's, 150's. I went to start the boat using battery one, I should also mention the boat has 2 batteries and two battery switches, one motor started and one had nothing, switched 2nd motor to battery 2 and it fired right up. I thought maybe the one battery was dead so I switched back to charge and that is when the high voltage warning appeared on my raymarine chart plotter. I do not get any unusual readings using battery 2. Spike occured going from battery 1 to 2.

seasick

Reaction score
Is there BOTH switch position> If so, did you go from 2 to both to 1 or from 1 to 2(passing OFF? If so, that's not a good thing to do.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
voltage reg on motor or a bad batt switch

you will need a hand held volt meter to test things out

got those

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Thanks

HaulinBass said:
Thanks for all of the input. I replaced the battery and it's fine.

That's strange. The only way that I can see the battery being the culprit is if if were a complete open circuit. That would have acted just like having the battery switch in OFF position with the motor running.

Well one for the books.