Hydrofoils on twin engined Gradys

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have a Sailfish 272 with the step hull configuration and with twin 200 HPDI motors. I am considering putting on a pair of Sting Ray hydrofoils to help lift the stern. I have a lot of water comming up under the motors even on plane and it takes to a lot of time to bring the bow down while accelerating. Does anyone have any experience with hydrofoils. How much good do they really do? Thanks

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I am really surprised you are having problems getting that boat on plane. I had a 1996 272 with Johnson 225 hps and never had any issue getting that boat on plane. My friend has 93 with a bracket with 200 hp Yamahas and he has no isse either. My 272 had the stepped hull too. Maybe call GW and asked them what they think about your problem, possible the motors are getting tired?

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have the GW factory spec 13 3/4 X 19 props. The boat does come up on plane but it takes obout 25 to 30 seconds for the bow to come down and the stern to rise. Even on plane the water rolls up to the bottom of the motors.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

How long have you owned this boat? Has this always been an problem? My 272 jumped right out of the water with the Johnson. It should not take 25 or 30 seconds to plane. I assume you checked your tabs to make sure they are trimmed bow up and not down?

catch22

Reaction score
Trim tabs should be "down", (bow down) when starting out. Once your up on plane, then you can adjust them "up".

Same for the motors... trim down, (tucked in) when starting out.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catch22

Catch22 you are correct. That boat should not even need to have the tabs adjusted for planning. I kept mine with bow up all the time and only used the tabs to adjust from side to side. It appears he is even having trouble at cruise. There has to be something not right.

catch22

Reaction score
Re: catch22

Lainie J said:
Catch22 you are correct. That boat should not even need to have the tabs adjusted for planning. I kept mine with bow up all the time and only used the tabs to adjust from side to side. It appears he is even having trouble at cruise. There has to be something not right.

Agree... something doesn't sound right.

I wonder if the "water comming under the motors" is just water being deflected off the trim tabs?

How about motor height?... too low?