I Have a Grady 268 Islander and would like to Down Size

bberry

Reaction score
8) I Have a Grady White 268 Islander in VGC with Yamaha Salt Water Series motors and Like them. I just Retired and would like to Downsize to a Grady 228 or 226 . I have been looking for a used boat that is in VGC but some of the Grady boats that are For Sale have Evinrude Ocean Pros or Yamaha HPDI Motors on them. I would like to get some feed back on these Motors before I buy . I can not afford to buy a Motor that has problems.
I must Sell or Trade my Boat before I can Buy another Boat, so just looking.
Any feed back is welcomed.

PA228G

Reaction score
I've only owned my 228 with the Johnson version of the Ocean Pro for a few years. I don't put as many hours on it as I'd like - but don't have anything bad to say about the set-up. A buddy down south had the same motor on a 21' Whaler and beat it pretty hard with no real complaints. Not the most fuel efficient, etc. but sometimes it sits for weeks, starts right up and hasn't given me any major problems. It's simple and pushes the boat just fine.

I've considered moving up and have thought about the 265 Express and 28 Sailfish - so what's good / bad about the Islander?

bberry

Reaction score
PA228G said:
I've only owned my 228 with the Johnson version of the Ocean Pro for a few years. I don't put as many hours on it as I'd like - but don't have anything bad to say about the set-up. A buddy down south had the same motor on a 21' Whaler and beat it pretty hard with no real complaints. Not the most fuel efficient, etc. but sometimes it sits for weeks, starts right up and hasn't given me any major problems. It's simple and pushes the boat just fine.

I've considered moving up and have thought about the 265 Express and 28 Sailfish - so what's good / bad about the Islander?
I love my 268 Islander and hate to sell her, my Boat has twin 200 Yamahas and runs and handles well, but i need to get a smaller boat that I can handle and go fishing with 1 or 2 people. Now that I'M retired its hard to find 3-4 people to go fishing on weekdays. The islander has plenty of fishing room ,large fish box , large live well and a nice size cabin area. I trailer my boat and its the only 27' boat that I know of that is legal to trailer being it has a 8'6" beam. My Boat just listed on the Boattrader.com listing ID # 96422380 under Walk Around Boat search. If you would like to see description and pictures of a 1995 268 Islander located in Chesapeake ,Virginia

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I have a 94 226 with an 05 F225 and have been thinking about getting something bigger. What year motors do you have; would you think about working out a trade? Also I'm in MD and fish the CBBT often so I think your close.

bberry

Reaction score
bigk23surf said:
I have a 94 226 with an 05 F225 and have been thinking about getting something bigger. What year motors do you have; would you think about working out a trade? Also I'm in MD and fish the CBBT often so I think your close.
I would consider a trade for a boat that in VGC and no bottom paint. How many hours are on your motor and Do you have a trailer?
My boat is listed on Boattradder.com as a 1995- Grady White Islander under Walk Around categories with 1995- Twin 200 Yamahas with 620 Hours and 2002- Aluminum Float -On Duel axle Trailer w/S/S Disc Brakes . listing #96422380 in Chesapeake, Virginia if you would like to see Pictures.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i noticed that my '02 gulfstream with twin f200's is still for sale at the dealer. he just reduced his asking price. ron