Is this normal? Exposed flywheel on Merceuiser!

CaptainAvatar

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just bought a Grady Overnighter 205 as a project (cheap, for now...). Looks like someone has replaced the motor and stern drive. I looked underneath and noticed that I could see the fly wheel. Does this motor and outdrive not match up, or is this normal?

Attachments

• 846FE758-E07C-48D5-9888-7150D5BD3F76.png
    846FE758-E07C-48D5-9888-7150D5BD3F76.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

CaptainAvatar

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering if there was as just a plate there or if the engine and outdrive didn’t match up. The engine doesn’t fit the factory mounts. I suppose the 205 must have come with a V6 because the L4 3.0 in there now has an A frame type of mount holding it by the end. I worry it’s not enough motor for this hull. I guess I’ll find out once it’s all back running. I’ll see if my mechanic can find a cover plate so that flywheel isn’t slinging saltwater all over. That probably wouldn’t be good...

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Like Pete said. You are missing The stock flywheel cover. The frame type mount is a Mercruiser stock mount for that motor. It is a great motor if it is maintained well. They had a few manifold problems. Always watch for water intrusion into the cylinders. Water in #4 cyl means the manifold or riser is rotting out. If you suspect someone changed the motor from a v 6 to the 4 cyl I would check To be sure that they changed the gear ratio in the drive also. The ratio is stamped on the upper drive near the top oil drain plug where the alpha one sticker is. If the ratio does not match your motor, your performance will be terrible. Some mechanics try to fix the issue by changing prop pitch but that never works out correctly.

CaptainAvatar

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you for the information! I definitely need to shop for a cover. Good pointer on the gear ratio; I’ll look at that next time I’m at the boat. It appears they changed the outdrive too, so hopefully they used one that matched the engine.