Is this Normal?

PMD 205

Reaction score
I was looking through some photos yesterday that I had taken of my 205 and just noticed this black stain. Is it from the exhaust?

IMG_1068editLarge.jpg

jehines3

Reaction score
if the motor was fogged for winter storage it is possibly the foggin oil buning off from first start. If it just showed up all of a sudden a few trips into the season, I'd be checking with the mechanic. jh

GWcpa

Reaction score
Yup, that is normal. Just like the tailpipe of your car will be black inside as well, the carbon gets stuck on the cowling with the water exhaust.

If you keep it waxed it washes right off as well.

Nice boat btw. :D

Edit> Hey, I just noticed your starboard rub rail end cap is faded, and the port one is not. I've got the same problem. Weird the the starboard one fades and not the port. ??? My boat has been most of its life as well.

PMD 205

Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Yup, that is normal. Just like the tailpipe of your car will be black inside as well, the carbon gets stuck on the cowling with the water exhaust.

If you keep it waxed it washes right off as well.

Nice boat btw. :D

Edit> Hey, I just noticed your starboard rub rail end cap is faded, and the port one is not. I've got the same problem. Weird the the starboard one fades and not the port. ??? My boat has been most of its life as well.

I'll give it a shot after I clean it off. I typically never see the backside of the engine since I'm usually on the boat or its on a lift where I can't see it.

Also, my boat is only 9 months old so the rub rail had better not be faded :x , I think it's just the big bright orange thing in the sky playing tricks on you. :lol:

mainexile

Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Yup, that is normal. Just like the tailpipe of your car will be black inside as well...quote]

I realize that this is off-topic, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread. But I wonder how many of you remember when we used to look for white (or very light tan) tailpipes to determine if an engine was running well? (Showing my age now) :?: :oops:

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
mainexile said:
GWcpa said:
Yup, that is normal. Just like the tailpipe of your car will be black inside as well...quote]

I realize that this is off-topic, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread. But I wonder how many of you remember when we used to look for white (or very light tan) tailpipes to determine if an engine was running well? (Showing my age now) :?: :oops:
I remember that well! But back then gas had lead in it and if it wasn't white you were burning oil. BTW, I'm 54!