Keeping fresh water.... fresh

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What do you use to keep the fresh water from turning nasty?

GW

Reaction score
1 cup of bleach per 3 gallons (or more) then drive the boat with the tank about two thirds full so it sloshes around and can hit the top of the tank as well. Back at dock, Drain the tank entirely then refill with fresh. I've heard you should do this annually and I'm sure the 1 cup per 3 gallons is entirely debatable.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if you use that much, make sure you flush the system throughly. i use about an ounce to 40 gallons for regular sanitizing and preventing growth. we don't drink the onboard water.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've never had to treat the water to keep it from getting bad. Never had an issue with the water smelling or algae. I also don't drink the water.

My water is used pretty regularly so it must stay fresh that way. I would think the bleach method would be best if you do have problems.

seasick

Reaction score
Grog said:
What do you use to keep the fresh water from turning nasty?

The recommendation from Shurflow is to multiply the capacity in gallons by 0.13 The result is the ounces of bleach required. So for a 50 gal tank, add 6.5 ounces of bleach.
It is easier to remember 1 Oz per 10 gallons though.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My advice would be to sanitize it like an RV using the 1 ounce to 10 gallons rule. While I do not drink the water from the onboard supply, it is freshwater and emergencies can arise. One day folks may need to drink the water and it is better to have it there ready for consumption than not. Just say'n....

Bill_N

Reaction score
The prior owner rarely used the FW on my boat so the tank has a lot of green slime in it. Would the bleach clean this out? I was actually thinking of pulling the tank out to flush it but maybe this is the thing to do.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bill_N said:
The prior owner rarely used the FW on my boat so the tank has a lot of green slime in it. Would the bleach clean this out? I was actually thinking of pulling the tank out to flush it but maybe this is the thing to do.
That was the problem i had in the begining of the season. Pump was working, tank was full, nothing coming out. I cleaned the strainer on the pump, it worked a little then nothing again. I did that a few times and i got really $%ssed, so i poured 1/2 gallon bleach in there and cleaned everything out, no more slime.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Surprised your boat would have that much slime in one year. Mines an '02. It's going to get the bleach treatment this w/e

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1 Oz to 10 Gal, easy enough. Bleach and ring-free have the same ratio.

seasick

Reaction score
Grog said:
1 Oz to 10 Gal, easy enough. Bleach and ring-free have the same ratio.

Just don't confuse the two!!!