keeping motor in up position

Grady 228

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to lay my 228 up for the winter. Would it create any problems to keep my motor (250 Yamaha) in in up position for the winter?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It won't cause any problems as long as you have support for it (either a motormate, myWedge, etc...) and as long as you tilt it down first so all the water can drain out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Unless there is a real need, keep the motor down. This is the preferred position and the only postion I have seen them stored in.

no problem

Reaction score
That will leave the tilt and trim pistons extended and exposed to the elements. I would coat them with grease. Any minor corrosion that occurs over winter will damage the seals when you retract them to lower the motor. If at all possible I would leave it down.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with the down position, if you have a trailer and is too low, jack up the trailer(which is a good idea anyway to get the load off the springs/torsion ).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The lower unit exhaust side may fill with melting snow or rain, then freeze up later, that's why you keep them down, doesn't have to be running position, but down enough to allow it to drain instead of fill up. I would say about less than 30 deg if measured from vertical.

If you have to keep it all the way up no choice, fill opening with non-toxic antifreeze until it overflows. Make sure it is first drained, before filling.
I think the tilt brackets can be engaged while fully retracting the trim pistons.

seasick

Reaction score
BobP said:
The lower unit exhaust side may fill with melting snow or rain, then freeze up later, that's why you keep them down, doesn't have to be running position, but down enough to allow it to drain instead of fill up. I would say about less than 30 deg if measured from vertical.

If you have to keep it all the way up no choice, fill opening with non-toxic antifreeze until it overflows. Make sure it is first drained, before filling.
I think the tilt brackets can be engaged while fully retracting the trim pistons.

Correct, the brackets can be used and the pistons retracted.
The argument about snow and ice buildup in the hub is valid and pouring antifreeze into it may not help for two reasons. Some hub housing are vented (mine is) so that any liquid in it will slowly drain out when tilted. At the same time, snow that sort of melts and then freezes can be an issue. If your hub drains and you cover the lower unit to prevent snow buildup, up will probably be OK.
I prefer down. And of course, I remove the prop, lube the shaft and wrap it to protect it from the elements.

Grady 228

Reaction score
Thanks for all who replied. My pull off where I store my boat is pitched jusy enough to not allow me to have it all the way down. After reading your posts I decided to grade it enough to have it in the down posistion. thanks again

Bob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Am I mistaken, but does Yammaha recommend the down position for prolonged storage of their 4 stroke motors due to oil issues? I have always stored my Yammi 4 strokes tilted down. I thought I read this in the owners manual.

Hotchief

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep mine in a covered slip yearound, with the exception of servicing every 100 hours.
I have not had any issues in 4 years but again it is under cover and even in the winter I run the boat several times per month.
Motor is always kicked up though...
I guess it would be better in the down position but I do not want the lower unit left in the salt water.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Good points Mark. If I kept my boat in the water, the motor would be up.