Lettering for Side of Grady

typhoon411

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to put my boat's name on the side of my boat. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could go to get labels/decals made that I could adhere to the side of the boat? I know generally what I'm looking for and I have a design laid out in photoshop (computer art program) I'm looking to send this somewhere to have my labels/decals made, etc...

Thanks,

Joe

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you can search THT; there's a thread about that now. i used boatus graphics. simple stuff. ron

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Go to any good sign shop in your area and tell them what you are using the sign for and what you are putting it on. They have different grades of vinyl, and the sign guy will know the proper one to use. They all have computers that they can scan your design in to and make the final lettering any size. color and font style that you can think of.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Most of the boat shows will have a couple of vendors - not sure where you are located but I have used a shop in Plymouth Ma - It is in the first block off stores past the rock.

JiminGA

Reaction score
We used boatus.com. If you are not a member you should be anyway as they are a bigtime lobby for recreational boating.

Anyway, there is a link there to their lettering service. They were great to work with and mailed me several actual-size computer printouts so we could adjust font, slant, sizing, etc. We were very pleased with the final product.

DSC00047Medium.JPG

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake I made and put black letters on.
My sons had to point it out. Still looks right to me. :shock:
Hey that comes with age.
I also need to update the photo of my grady with the lettering!
Almost any local sign company can make your lettering.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Might want to ask about the cost for the local sign shop do the install too... it's can be tougher then it looks to get the stickers aligned and straight without bubbles and creases... if they mess it up, they get to redo it at their cost... if you do the install, try "sticker on" from west marine and others... it gives you some extra "slide time" with the stickers...

JiminGA

Reaction score
LeapFrog said:
Might want to ask about the cost for the local sign shop do the install too... it's can be tougher then it looks to get the stickers aligned and straight without bubbles and creases... if they mess it up, they get to redo it at their cost... if you do the install, try "sticker on" from west marine and others... it gives you some extra "slide time" with the stickers...

I hear what Leapfrog says, but from personal experience, it's actually pretty easy. The Boat US decals come with a set of instructions and if you follow them, you will not have a problem. Basically it's just a matter of adding a drop or two of liquid detergent to a spray bottle filled with water. Spraying that on prior to placing the decal allows you to slide it around for final positioning. They even supply a flexable plastic blade-like tool so air bubbles can be avoided. It's a matter of taking your time and you have that because of the water/soap solution. Our lettering is now 5 years old and looks great - NO problems. BTW, our registration numbers are from Boat US also:

DSC00045Medium.JPG

miker

Reaction score
i had a local shop do mine and i put them on myself even with a couple bubblesin them when the sun it it bubbles went away

typhoon411

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the posts, I'm working on getting the same font as the grady and I'm going to scrape the Grady logo off of my boat and put "State of Grace" in the same font, color, and location as the original Grady logo.

I may not get the original font from Grady as it could have been a custom designed logo, but Im friends with a bunch of artists on Facebook so I'm sure I can get it done for a few cases of beer. :)