Lithium battery size for trolling motor

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
I am installing a 75" Garmin Force Kraken trolling motor on my Fisherman 216. My plan is to go with a 36v lithium battery and I'm trying to determine if I can get away with the 60 Ah vs the 110 Ah battery. The main feature that I will use the trolling motor for is anchoring over reefs while fishing. I suspect 4-5 hours of usage per day is more than sufficient for me. I would certainly appreciate any advice on battery capacity and brand preference.

I called Garmin tech support and they recommended at least 100 Ah but I'm skeptical of this after researching a bit online.

Thank you!

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
So, I called tech support again. I think they didn't understand before that I was going to be running a Lithium battery. They did say that a 60 Ah lithium battery should be sufficient for anchor lock for 4-6 hours of runtime. Of course, so many factors at play with currents, boat weight, etc. I am leaning towards 60 Ah for a smaller footprint and lower price but still would appreciate any feedback... and brand recommendations! Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
What is your plan for recharging?

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
What is your plan for recharging?
No current plan for on-board charging. I think I'll just plug it in to an outlet in my storage unit between trips to charge. Any recommendations as far as that goes?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not a fan of lithium batteries on a boat. There are a few very good ones if you spend that money. The chemistry and being on the water is not a good mix in my book.

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
Not a fan of lithium batteries on a boat. There are a few very good ones if you spend that money. The chemistry and being on the water is not a good mix in my book.
Thanks for commenting Fishtales. "There are a few very good ones if you spend that money." Are you suggesting that there are a few very good brands? I definitely would prefer to choose a reputable brand to reduce any risk. thanks!

mikesne

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I'm currently installing a Minn Kota 36V on my 204C. After a ton of research, I decided to go with 3- 100ah lithium batteries. I'm also going to install a NOCO on board charger.

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
I'm currently installing a Minn Kota 36V on my 204C. After a ton of research, I decided to go with 3- 100ah lithium batteries. I'm also going to install a NOCO on board charger.
Thanks mikesne. I am going with one 60 Ah lithium. I ordered it last night. You will have a tremendous amount of capacity with 3 batteries of that size!! I don't need nearly that much. Of course, if I need more, I can always add in parallel. Good luck!