Looking at Grady 208 or 226

olorin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First post here and I am looking into buying a mid to late 90's - early 2000's 208 or 226. I just got into boating around 5 years ago - by no means am I an expert - and am selling my '94 Bayliner 2452 and am looking to downsize a little bit. My kids have gotten a bit older and I am finding that I am now going out on my own more often. I stay in mostly the Great South Bay in Long Island and won't go offshore because I'll admit it - I'm chicken.

So - here's my question. I assume the 208 can easily be handled in a solo situation but can the 226 also be handled alone? As I said I am looking at both of these and I will still need room for the occasions when I have the kids and their friends on the boat but also want the ability to go out alone.

Lastly, I don't trailer the boat - I leave it in a slip during the summer.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I boat on the Great South Bay and fish out of Fire Island Inlet with my 228 (bracketed version of the 226). Perfect boat for that ..I am out by myself 50% of the time.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I second what bayrat says. I had a Seafarer for 10 years and was out a lot of the time solo.

Remember, conditions are everything to a boating trip. On a flat day you can solo a 30' into a slip. On a rough, windy day, even a small boat is a hassle without someone else aboard or on the dock to receive lines and assist.
However, the 22 your targeting is a great comprimise. You can captain it by yourself the majority of the time, and it will take you thru some moderately rough stuff safely, if not comfortably.

GulfSea

Reaction score
208, 226, 228 are all great boats for fishing with friends or going alone! Never had a problem handling my 228 alone at all.