Looking for pics of a 86 offshore 24 with twins

lime4x4

Reaction score
Found out my offshore appears to have been converted from a single outboard to twin outboards. I'm looking for pics of where the scruppers are and pics of inside the transom.

JeffN

Reaction score
Go to the Grady Link here and click on Customer Info. then go to catalogs. You may find some pictures for your model there.

Just looked there are pics of the inside of the transom and a pic of the stern of an I/O offshore and you can make out the cockpit drains. Unfortunately they are of a single OB not twins. May help though. There used to be lots of those around here but not sure I ever saw one with twin O/B.

lime4x4

Reaction score
I saw those they really don't help me..lol. In the brochure it says the transom is modified for twins. I'm just curious what they did to the transom to accomadate the twin engine setup

JeffN

Reaction score
Stronger transom? In the catalog pics it looks wide enough for twins. But then again I'm not an outboard guy. I do see in the catalog they note that the transom height for a single is 25", perhaps it is higher for twins?

Shutterbug

Reaction score
In 86 there was a rating of 300hp for notched transom. The boat could be ordered with a bracket or the OMC sterndrive relic but there was no rating for max hp. I would assume that the bracketed boat would have same max rating, but who knows.

In 87 there was a 300hp rating for notched transom as well as bracketed and lower for I/O and of course the boat could be ordered with single or dual bracket.

Prior to 87 the transom had a piece of steel from port to stb. again assuming it was for the added weight of the omc drive/bracket and engine sitting farther from transom, and that rusted. My buddy had either an 85 or 86.

In 87 (mine) it looks to be an incapsulated 2 by 4 from port to stb. again for reasons above.
In 1990 my scuppers went from above the waterline (single bracket/engine) to below with duals and it's been that way since. I struggled with this thought for awhile but after periodic removal of the thru-transom assembly, I've had no problems. If it eases your mind, look at older Gulfstreams with duals on a bracket and you'll see the same. And I don't think there's a way to raise the thru-hull, cockpit water won't drain. Only thing I ever thought of was to put some type of check valve in line but never fooled with it.

If you have the livewell under the cutting bd. lift it out and check, or the seat covers.

lime4x4

Reaction score
I have a full transom on mine and do have what looks like a 2 by 4 encased in fiberglass. As far as the scruppers i replaced them with stainless ones that have the flappers in them to help prevent water from coming up the deck drains. Even thou they sit below the water line my deck drains still drain. Just wanted to make sure i didn't have to do anything to the transom before i put the bracket back on.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
I must have really overlooked the stainless transom thru-hulls. When you get time forward me a link to where you found them. I've only been able to find the original plastic. Thanks

shauncooper

Reaction score
I have an 87 offshore pro with twins - replaced scuppers during my overhaul earlier in the year. Let me know if you want some pictures.

suzukidave

Reaction score
the transom height may also be different for twins vs a single. i was just looking at a 1984 223 with twins and i called grady to clarify. the transom was ordered either 23" to suit long leg twins vs. 25" for a single xl.

shauncooper

Reaction score
I don't really know how to post pictures on here - you have an email address I can send to?

shauncooper

Reaction score
Sorry Lime, hadnt been on here in a while - you still looking for pictures or did you come right with the scuppers?

shauncooper

Reaction score
I have had no problem with water leaking onto the deck or with deck drainage with these scuppers on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 243

lime4x4

Reaction score
Thanks. Mine deck drains are also located below the water lines slightly. Mine is a full transom. Never had a issue with water not draining