looking for some info on a 1986 22 seafarer OMC 2.6 Seadrive

Renovator

Reaction score
As others have said, keep looking or consider a repower. I had the Seadrive on a 20'Wellcraft Fish CC and what a pain in the rear. If there is no swim platform to create stern uplift when coming off plane a tremendous amount of water works it's way up and around the mid section of the motor. They are very thirsty and I was always having issues with mine. Corrosion issues for sure especially around the driveshaft and gear shaft tunnel.

Chasing Rays

Reaction score
The owner had said that the boat motor burns 15-20 GPH at 4,000 RPM. That is almost unheard off for a single motor. If that is the case then the repower would come soon.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have to show my ignorance here. I've only seen an OMC Sea Drive once and that was on a Pro Line I looked at when looking for my boat. Seller was about as good a salesman as I am as he told me how much it would cost to remove the Sea Drive - more than he was asking for the boat and all. He had the powerhead rebuilt.

That 15 - 20 GPH at 4,000 rpm - are we talking one motor or two? What horsepower were these motors rated at? 2.6 doesn't tell me a thing.

GAry 89 Overnighter

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
I had one of those on a 22' Grady I bought way back when... Had a mechanic go thru the whole engine pre-purchase. Great compression and everything checked out so the purchase was made.

22hrs later, the head gaskets blew. Pulled heads and they had very little meat left on them and same with the block. Cylinders also had alot of scoring on the bottom cylinders. Needed to find a new block to rebuild. Found a few but opted to pull the whole show off, have all Seadrive holes sealed/glassed/gel coated, put a new bracket on, buy new power and hydrolic steering.

It was the right thing to do. Do not count on the motor to last you 'years'. Plan on a repower from the getgo and work your numbers accordingly.

Good luck.

Chasing Rays

Reaction score
Great info that is what I was planning, not sure what to offer for the boat yet. What motor did you have and how was the gas consumption ? After you repowered did you enjoy the boat?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Scott S said:
Great info that is what I was planning, not sure what to offer for the boat yet. What motor did you have and how was the gas consumption ? After you repowered did you enjoy the boat?

2.6L V6 and it was a pig w/ both gas + oil. The boat felt like a different boat after the repower. New power is new power and that equals peace of mind... The hull is a tank..

Good luck with your purchase. Just do the math first..