Low RPM New Prop or Motor Problem

stonephoto

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Seafarer with a 1993 Yamaha 225 on an engine bracket. I'm only getting 4100 RPM at best at WOP. That's about 28-29MPH. The engine seems to run really well and it does plane nicely. The manual says I should get 5000-6000 RPM. My stainless steel prop is a 14 1/2 - 17. Do I need a different prop? Should I be happy with this RPM considering it's probably getting better gas mileage? Is there something more seriously wrong with my motor? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Guitar1

Reaction score
Prop Change.....

Sounds like a different prop is in order. I would suggest trying a few different sizes before you commit. The motor needs to run near it's max rated rpm.

If you decide to sell your current prop let me know....

Thanks,

Guitar1

uncljohn

Reaction score
I run my OX66 at about 3900-4200 rpms at cruise, and go 28-30 mph. I CAN push it to WOT and get 5300 rpms, but never run at WOT. Just b/c a boat can achieve max rps doesn't mean you should run it at that level. I can tell from the engine sound when it goes from a purr to a whine....right about 4400 rpms......and she likes to purr....

I think based on your stats that you are achieving 'cruising rpms' when the throttle is WOT, which means our throttle needs to be adjusted or you need a different prop. I don't know what size prop I have.