Make ready list for 2008, what else should I add...

GWcpa

Reaction score
I am ready to get the boat ready for the season. Going to take off a couple days next week to get the boat ready. I think I actually enjoy working on the boat this time of year as much as using it.

My list includes
replace raw water pump on engine
Install new spark plugs and full maintenace on engine
install accesory charging harness with new breaker for house battery
install new Yamaha rigging tube and replace grommet on engine with new style fitting.
Install 10 micron fuel filter, relocate separator base so it will fit
Install new bimini pins and lanyards.
Determine how to decrease glare from stern light.
Install underwater transom lights.
Order bow cover or get one custom made.
Get new windshield supports made. Would like custom stainless or aluminum.
Consider subwoofer installation
Complete stainless steel cupholder replacements
Clean and lubricate all O rings on the pie plate access plates. I already have them all out for winter ventilation.

Wash and fully wax hull, interior
protect all vinyl

This is pretty much my to do lists. Anyone have similar ones.

My boat is pretty much perfect and operable for me, but I am always looking for ways to improve it.

May experiment with moving the engine up a hole as well. Got a new prop last year and it bites so well this may give me added efficiency and speed without blow out.

Anyone else have a similar list. ?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I have a few additions for you, compression test your engine it is simple to do and gives you a lot of information about the overall health of the engine. Torque your heads, I do mine every year need it or not and every once and a while I find a bolt that needs it. Depending on the age and engine you have I would think about adding thermostats and fuel pumps to the list. I do my T-stats every two years and the fuel pumps after 750 hours. Also a simple but important one, replace the fiber washers under the drain and fill plugs on you lower unit. Obviously, grease everything that you can get a grease gun on. Clean you battery terminals and ring connections with a wire brush. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Brad1

Reaction score
As Tashmoo pointed out, include battery maintenance on your list. Also, don't forget trailer maintenance (wheel bearings, brakes, check lights).

I have my list of things I do at the end and beginning of every season. With the exception of spark plug changes (which I do in the spring after I test run my engine on the muffs) I do all of my engine maintenance in the fall before I put the boat away for the winter. It's good to change used 4 stroke oil before extended storage (the oil becomes acidic or something like that, or so I've read from time to time over the years). Also, if you have any water in the gear case, you don't want the boat sitting in winter weather with the water in there.

When you go to change that impeller / housing on your F200, I recommend you have a service manual on hand. There's a good illustrated step-by-step walk through on how to do it on THT. But they leave out one important step. The seating of the nylon spacer that goes under the collar which goes on the shaft. The manual calls for a special tool to seat the collar down over the nylon spacer. I merely used the old collar turned upside down, and pressed down on it with the old base plate. Worked perfect on my F225, and I used the same trick on my Brother's F115. You can get your service manual from Shipyard Island Marine. I buy my parts from them too. They always get the parts order perfect (unlike my dealer, which would send me three of something I didn't need and none of the parts I did need).

Few more things to add. Check all the lights and electronics on the boat. Check your flares for expiration date. Check all your lines, safety gear etc. Check your on board tool box.