Mcgill Rocker switches and Doxit Electrical Contact cleaner

markb8608

Reaction score
Hello All
I recently had trouble with my navigation light rocker switch on the old faux wood type switch panel. I have a 99 GW 225 Tournament.
I went insane looking the exact match on the internet. However, I took the switch off and cleaned the contact surfaces inside the switch. It is really not hard. But don't do as I did. I took it out from below, from under the panel. i.e. another words I separated the switch from the actuator and pulled the switch out past all the wires. And I lost one of the pins from the DPDT toggle. Its best to take the switch out from above. Lay it out on clean face and just pull the tabs to release the actuator from the bottom half of the switch. For a double pole, double throw type switch there are on-off-on positions. One of the pins which sits on the toggle had dropped down and I couldn't find it. I ended up buying a 1/8" diameter Nylon rod from Ebay and made my own pin. Let me know if you have trouble.

Have a try with "Doxit D100l electric terminal cleaner." Just got turned into this product. The product is amazing for cleaning corrosion on electrical connections. Never seen anything like it . Been using 3M and CRC products for years and never got terminals cleaned unless I used a small flat filero sandpaper. Hope this helps someone. I bought the d100l with the brush.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I replaced my whole switch panel. I have the old mcgill oval switches and breakers if you need one. I'm in Bayville. Message me

euro oval mcgill2.jpg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I used a Blue Sea panel I’m very happy with.
89D147FD-C06C-4CF2-AB90-E869F2E60113.jpeg
I’m a little further north of Skunkboat in Farmingdale NJ.
Btw thanks for the tip on deoxit.
I can think of an immediate use for it being the 4&5 pin connectors oN trailer wiring. It’s almost impossible to keep them corrosion free and as good as CRC is it doesn’t work for that.

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replaced my whole switch panel. I have the old mcgill oval switches and breakers if you need one. I'm in Bayville. Message me

View attachment 17693

Didn’t realize those are the McGill switches. What year did they switching to the Carling? I have too much this year to do but would like to swap my switches so I knowwhat they are at night.

Also, I didn’t know you are in Bayville. Any reason you have a slip in Pt Pleasant.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’d make a guess he’s in Point to have quick access to the ocean.
If I had a choice between Barnegat , Shark River, and Manasquan Inlets I’d choose Manasquan too.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Shark river has a low clearance R/R bridge, the channel and inlet is narrow. Barnegate can be rough and the channels leading to and out shift, are sketchy unless you run them a lot and are unforgiving.
Manasquan is wide, maybe rough on an outgoing tide be easy otherwise. The MR R/R bridge sits like 2’ over the water so an early hour lift can be a problem when the bridge tender nods off.