MCM-228 Cooling Hose Routeing (PICS)

LX Kid

Reaction score
Ok guys, I finally found a maintenance manual and have become dangerous with questions. I have the '82 Mercruiser, 305 engine and am wondering about the routing of my cooling hoses. If I'm looking at the correct diagram, my hoses are not routed correctly and some have been routed back into themselves!!!!!! The four outlets, under the thermostat houseing, have been routed back into it's self. Can someone enlighten me? What ya think '78GradyGulfstream? Thanks
PS: What's differance between MCM-228 (mine), 228R, 228TR, 228II-TR and which one do "I" have? Have pics but can't figure out how to post them on this forum yet.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I strongly recommend you post this type of question on the iboats forum I sent you.........tell'em Tony sent ya.........my screen name over there is FreeBeeTony.

Not taking anything away from the guys here............but I don't see much I/O discussion here...........and yes, pics are more than helpful!

seabob4

Reaction score
LX Kid,
The name's Bob. To post pics, open an account on Photobucket, upload pics, photobucket will assign urls to them. Click on the email choice under the pic and you will see "copy" show up, then fade away. Go back to your Great Grady Post, click on reply, decide where you want your pic, then paste.

As far as I/O's, I have no problem with them. Intake to strainer. Strainer to water pump (front of motor). Water Jacket (somewhere on motor to exhaust risers). Out the hub, unless you have t/transom open exhaust. The thing I think you are looking at is the additional feeds for a water heater, which would explain a hose exciting and a housing and then returning right back.

Hope this helps. Hey, been doing I/Os, Inboards for a long time. Got a little knowledge.

LX Kid

Reaction score
TRANSOM ASSY: 6151102
DRIVE UNIT: 6165588

THANKS BOB! I'll try and post pics later tonight after joining Photo Bucket. I appreciate the help. Ron

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
hold on im uploading it
20.gif

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
looks like they have aftermarket riser and mani's on there

u can look up parts at doug russell

yep that was it

seabob4

Reaction score
Those hoses are not doubling back on themselves. They feed the water jackets in your heads and block. Actually looks to be in very good shape. Are there any issues that the motor is giving you?

LX Kid

Reaction score
Looks like they should be run as pictured below. I bought this boat last Monday and am getting it ready to go fishing!!!! I have ordered new water pump, fuel pump, tune-up kit, carburetor, tilt pump, water/fuel seperator filter and new tilt pump bracket. I wantet to replace all the things that "might" fail when 30 miles out in the Gulf. Was'nt running when I got it and found a bare condenser wire, shorting out, and pitted points. Filed points and taped condenser wire then it ran. Found vaccum leak under carb and put new gasket on and now runs well but still decided to replace all the above mentioned. Going to pull distributor and check out the mechanical advance and install new tune-up kit. Re-carpeting cuddy and helm sides. Figure to check eveything out it will take me another week. Ron
S6001030.jpg

'84Offshore

Reaction score
The diagram you posted is for the old "log" style manifold/risers........looks like the previous owner "upgraded" to the center style manifolds..........thats why the hoses are connected like that. Not sure if there will be any issues with water flow. Did you run it on the muffs? How was the temp? Real test will be under load though.

LX Kid

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a new water pump and thermostat to come in and still have to locate a lower unit pump kit. The temp got up to 190 degrees and I shut it down. Ron

seabob4

Reaction score
So, based on the diagram, which I didn't look at too closely before, the hoses that "double-back" on each other were formerly meant to be a feed and return line for you exhaust manifold cooling. Now they are simply functioning as a closed loop, enabling the motor to maintain the same housing, while using newer type risers and manifolds. Two questions. Where do the current risers get their cooling water source from? Where does the intake hose plumb into the motor?

LX Kid

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm pulling the water pump and fuel pump off for replacement and I'll be able to tell a little more about hose routeing. I have not been able to access this site for a couple of days now. Was wondering what had happened.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
LX Kid said:
Tomorrow I'm pulling the water pump and fuel pump off for replacement and I'll be able to tell a little more about hose routeing. I have not been able to access this site for a couple of days now. Was wondering what had happened.

You better have gaskets!!!!

no sheet paste seals, cept with 44TH compound

trust me i have seens "so called patse seals leak 2 days later"

gas and i/o is BAD!

Is UR FP leaking?
any dirt on it?

But UR smart replacing things, but with those new hoses i c on the t-stat housing, i would say FP good, but pics r a 1000 words

call me, just find my #, LOL

LX Kid

Reaction score
The fuel pump looks like it may be a replacement from years past. Looks like aluminum automotive pump all corroded. I'm putting Marine pump on. Hope my carb and water pump come in today. Still have to find lower foot water pump. Have'nt dropped foot yet cause been working on helm area.
S6001017.jpg

S6001031-1.jpg

S6001037-1.jpg

S6001042.jpg