Mildew on bolsters

wlewis

Reaction score
I go to great lengths to protect my year and a half old 225. I clean it regularly and cover it with both a Grady supplied bow cover and a custom made cockpit cover. I've cleaned the vinyl with various vinyl cleaners, ie 3M, West Marine, as well as Vinegar and a product recommended on this forum (cannot recall name, but it's a green bottle purchased from Home Depot) and then treated with 303. The best cleaner seems to be the West Marine Vinyl cleaner, however, numerous small black spots, presumably mildew, still appear on my bolsters and nothing seems to remove it. My seat cushions are fine, but not the bolsters. Thinking moist uncirculated air under the cover must facilitate mildew growth, I leave a small dehumidifier fan running all the time under the cover, but it doesn't seem to help. I had the same problem with the bolsters on my last boat, a Gulfstream 23. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of the dark spots on my bolsters?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The double covers might be at least part of the problem. The more the boat is covered up, the less it breathes. Try to avoid putting the boat away wet and/or try to maybe pay extra attention to the problem spots and dry them better. Not saying you don't do that - just suggesting.

You can mix up a 10:1 mixture of water:bleach (I sometimes do 5:1). Spray it on, let it set for a few minutes and then rinse well. Reapply the 303. Avoid spraying on seams - in that case use a WHITE rag that is saturated with the solution and set it on the problem spots.

wlewis

Reaction score
I do dry it before putting on covers, but have not tried the bleach. Good idea.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Where does the dehumidifier drain to?

Another thing that can advocate mold/mildew is dirt (not necessarily 'visible' dirt). It sounds like you're keeping them pretty clean, though.

wlewis

Reaction score
I say dehumidifier, that's what West Marine calls it, but it's actually an enclosed fan with a heater in it. It works well in closed areas. First used it in the cabin of my Gulfstream and it really helped. I also used them in the closets in a beach house.

suzukidave

Reaction score
souns like you have mildew where you can't reach it. i don't know florida mildew but west coast canada mildew must be cut off at the source!

i would remove the bolsters, and wash them thoroughly and sun dry. if you can take the foam out, wash the cover inside and out soak the foam in diluted vinegar.

if you don't have vents in your boat cover, get some added.

at that point if it still comes back, you can try adding spacers behind the bolsters to create an air gap to help them dry.

wlewis

Reaction score
I can easily reach it. Mildew is certainly visible. From what I understand, the bolsters cannot be removed easily, otherwise, I would remove them and only put them back in place when using the boat. I think I'll try the bleach idea first. Vents in the cover, at least under the hardtop area, sounds like a good idea.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use Zep. You get it at Home Depots. I got this tip from a buddy of mine. I buy the gallon jug of commercial mold and mildew stain remover. Wipe it on wait 5-10 minutes and wash off. Works like a champ. Bolsters look like new. In the cockpit and in the cabin you should use white vinegar, recommended by Grady White.

eppem

Reaction score
Zep, hands down. Not expensive and works like a champ, don't leave it on very long!