move 228 from houston to seattle

Reaction score
Last Month, I pulled a 232 Gulfstream from San Antonio to Tacoma... 5 day, 4600 mile round trip with a buddy trading off driving and sleeping.
Lowest bid on U-ship was $3400.00 so I drove down and pulled it back myself for less than half that price in fuel. Drove down through Idaho, Utah, New Mexico. Quickly decided that was not the route to come home with a large boat in tow.
I came home on Interstate 10 to CA, 215, 15, 395?, north to Bakersfield, then north on 99 to I5. That is the way I should have gone down there. I would not recommend taking hwy99 with a large boat in tow... too many short on ramps on that road. I5 would have been a better choice I believe.
If you do this, bring a full set of spare bearings, make sure the tires and brakes on the trailer are in good shape before heading out.
It took 2 full days of cleaning to get the bugs and road grime off the boat after I got it home.
If I had to do it over again, I'd take a couple more days and get a bit of real sleep. Saved a bunch of coin over having a shipper move it though.
Good luck.

steve

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the reply ,im still trying to figure out what to do, the route coming home is it longer ??? Did you have to get different permits for different states , any help is very much appreciated.

DW

Reaction score
I didn't pull any permits and had no problems. The route through CA is a couple hundred miles longer but it is all interstate, fewer mountain passes and much better road surface. Therefore faster and better suited to towing.

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Its looking like I might have to make that trip also the boat is located in Anahuac TX, or find some one who wants to make a little holiday trip ???

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wavetamer, do your homework....I could be wrong but someone else was looking at that boat and found out that it hadn't been started in 4 years...

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks I don't know about 4 years i do no some one in From Florida looked at it ,but I do know it has been run in a while had mech chech and as typical with 0x66 Yamaha's that sit for awhile the fuel pump was seized. Do you know these people, any info would be great haven't paid for any thing yet . Thanks again for the info