Music choices - heading thru the pass.....

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Music Music!

Hey gang! JumpnJack leaves the landing usually with a little Stray Cats tune called "Blast Off" and as we move thru the pass we normally play "Ghost Riders in the Sky" As magicalbill says the boat ususally makes the best music! My crew loves all the old "Southern Rock" Should we get in a storm or bad conditions we break out the old Jimmy Hendrix album "Experience" with the tune "The Wind Crys Mary". Actually my daughter made up a special fishing CD that we play a lot. It leads off with "Up on Cripple Creek" Nice subject you all! 8)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Megabytes, I just installed Alpine's plug and play amplifier to my system this past weekend. It brings the continuious power to 50 watts x 4...not sure the peak. My head unit was something like 4 x 18 continuious, 45 peak. If your system is not already amplified, this is a simple way to increase the fullness of the sound and add a little power too.

We have some polyplanar co-ax box speakers, I put two in the cabin and two in the cockpit area. We camp out on the boat from time to time so we put them in the cabin too.. I just have a thing about cutting big holes in the boat and i know box speakers just dont have the same range as putting in 6x9s or 6.5 rounds. I have Boston's Reference series in my home and love their sound. Wish I would have made the extra effort to find some Boston's for the boat.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob
The Boston outdoor sound really smooth. I am very picky. My home stereo is stunning, but remember, I have been into audio most of my life either professionally or as a hobby. In fact I have some new very sophisticated audio apps for my iPhone.

I believe my head unit is 50x4. It will go well louder than I typically play it before clipping. The mellow stuff I generally play at an appropriate volume but I have been known to crank up Journey or Layla when fishing. Just gotta make sure you can here the reels scream :D :lol:

BTW: I have had zero problems with the Alpines on either boat even though they are auto units. 2 of my BAs (consect serial #s) acted up last year. It turns out the xover went bad. Would you believe BA repaired both at no charge!!! They were purchased in 2003 and well out of warranty. Sounds like GW! :D :D :D

PS: bought the new BAs off ebay last year for $250/pair. They are in a closet waiting for Mega3. Band new in box and never used. Gotta love ebay.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mega and JUMPINJACK.

I guess there's one exception to my "no music on board" rule..

Layla...

I could play that song over and over even if I didn't hear my VHF for awhile..
In my opinion, the greatest guitar riff in rock-n-roll.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Probably every one knows how cool Pandora is, but if you haven't tried it, put the Pandora app on an I-phone, and then plug it in to the boat stereo. Its a great way to go.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have the pandora app on my droid. In shore it would be great to have, never thought about it for the boat. Thanks.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We’ve been listening to a relatively new band from Sweden of all places called “Little Dragon”. The Talking Heads are another favorite…as well as many listed above. I really like Paul Kelly and was fortunate enough to see him perform in a pub in Melbourne in the mid- 90s…the place was overflowing with captivated listeners bulging out the doors of course. And then there’s Cold Chisel….a blast from the past! But, it seems I only play music while at anchor/mooring or dockside as I’m not comfortable with tunes cranking while underway- at speed at least. Harbor cruising yes, but while up on a plane scooting along, I think hearing the boat is a useful safety sense. We haven’t cut the wholes/ installed a stereo system yet and find this water resistant Altec Lansing “In Motion” portable iPod player to be perfectly adaquate. It also fills our little home quite adequately with ambient sound.
http://mp3speakers-234.com/wp-content/u ... 05/im9.jpg

Spring is in the air…at least out here.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Man, you guys have provided more cool music than I ever thought possible Thanks so much

I recently bought a number of the Mustang inflatables for everyone on board, we have plenty of Type 1 offhore vests with strobes and whistles and such in the overhead compartment under the hardtop, but I thought it would be cool to have everyone safe and wearing an inflatable while on board.

As such, I had to figure out what to play to get everyone pumped up as we got ready to leave the dock, so.... Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild" was perfect!!

Try running a loop on your IPod with Born to Be Wild followed by some Queen, as you head to drop those Sabikis and catch fresh bait...

You guys have given me so many ideas about how to turn a fishing trip into an entertaining adventure that gets everyone, especially the younger folks on board, pumped up and ready to head out of the pass, I really appreciate it!!

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sel1005,
Thanks for the great post! As per your recommendation, I made a nice sounding “greatgrady mix” I will try soon on board, starting off with Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild", select Queen tunes , the Stray Cats “Blast Off”, some Eagles, Paul Kelly, original Van Halen, Rolling Stones, and more. Thanks again.

Workdog

Reaction score
Depends on what I'm fishing for, but, if we're down in VA fishing for Stripers it has to be "Rock." If fishing for Walleyes up North it is Country. It just drives the fish wild. :wink:

ahill

Reaction score
Early morning Honeymoon Harbor, Bimini, Bahamas
Bagpipe Amazing Grace LOUD as the sun rises!