Name your Vessel

Bumpye

Reaction score
I really struggled with this. I had a few ideas but the general idea is I wanted to name her after my Dad in some way who died just before I bought her. He was a WWII pilot and I had an idea to name her after one of the aircraft he flew with a graphic of the typical nose art of that era. The photo I have of him is standing in front of a B-24 with a topless woman riding a tiger. No name however. So I thought about Ride The Tiger with the woman on the tiger (cleaned up to PG of course) but it just didn't work. There were a couple of other planes with names but I couldn't decide on one. Finally my son said one day kind of plane did he fly? I said a B-24 Liberator or B-24 Privateer. He said "Liberator that's it". To top it off there is an organization called the Collings Foundation. They tour the country in a B-24 and a B-17 and offer flights. I took one and scattered his ashes from the plane. Then one day they were at a local airport near my marina when I heard the unmistakable sound of the B-24 taking off and flying over the marina. I pointed to it and said to my dock neighbor "That's a Liberator". He said "Now I get it". Sorry for the long winded response.

Attachments

• Liberator Name.jpg
    Liberator Name.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 518

Punch53

Reaction score
Bumpye, there is a great book named "The Log of the Liberators". You may even find your Dad or his plane mentioned. About 30 years ago I was reading about a Liberator pilot from Brooklyn. I looked up his name in the phone book and he lived a couple of streets over from me. I knocked on his door and we talked for a while. It was interesting.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thanks Punch53. I haven't read that book, but there is a book called "Farewell to Some" that I have read that does mention his squadron. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

BoatCoversandBiminis

Reaction score
Bumpye said:
I really struggled with this. I had a few ideas but the general idea is I wanted to name her after my Dad in some way who died just before I bought her. He was a WWII pilot and I had an idea to name her after one of the aircraft he flew with a graphic of the typical nose art of that era. The photo I have of him is standing in front of a B-24 with a topless woman riding a tiger. No name however. So I thought about Ride The Tiger with the woman on the tiger (cleaned up to PG of course) but it just didn't work. There were a couple of other planes with names but I couldn't decide on one. Finally my son said one day kind of plane did he fly? I said a B-24 Liberator or B-24 Privateer. He said "Liberator that's it". To top it off there is an organization called the Collings Foundation. They tour the country in a B-24 and a B-17 and offer flights. I took one and scattered his ashes from the plane. Then one day they were at a local airport near my marina when I heard the unmistakable sound of the B-24 taking off and flying over the marina. I pointed to it and said to my dock neighbor "That's a Liberator". He said "Now I get it". Sorry for the long winded response.

I love this! Thanks for sharing!! :)

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
REEL SWEET *4

I wanted Reel Sweet as we have a chocolate factory and that's what bought the boat.

My wife said the only thing "Reel Sweet" are our 4 grandkids, hence the *4

Bongo B

Reaction score
"On A ContingenSea"

The fruits of helping others right their wrongs at my risk.

Gary M

Reaction score
My wife is from New Zealand and her Dad built a boat in their living room when she was young!

Going to look at a possible first boat to buy in 1997, she said, "You know my father says that it's very bad luck to change the name of a boat." Pulling up to the house, there's the boat on a trailer in the driveway....... complete with three foot high letters down the side, shouting out...... NANCY LEE! My wife's name is Jenn. "Okay, we can change the name if we buy this one"!

Year's later, we bought our 2001 Grady-White Marlin. I followed all the rules that Capt Nemo, Capt Ahab and even Charlie the Tuna have laid down over the centuries on the proper way to change the name of a boat/ship. Bought the boat and stripped the old name off right away. Waxed out the 'shadow' of the old name. Drove it 100 miles, nameless, to her new home dock. Then had the new name installed while splashing a Bahamian Kailk Gold beer on her bow! The new name was "HEY MON!"

Spending many trips in da Bahamas, I get great shout-outs from boaters at the Marinas over there! "Hey Mon! How you doing today?" Followed by smiles and laughs!

Pulling into Bahamian Marinas, I'll call them on the VHF. "Old Bahama Bay, this is the vessel HEY MON arriving and looking for a slip assignment please." Comes the Reply with a heavy Bahamian accent, "Hey Mon! How you doing today Mon? Your slip is C-13 and welcome back!" I can almost feel the smile on the dockmaster's face as he gives me the slip number!

029.jpg

Reactions: Mastrouble

BoatCoversandBiminis

Reaction score
Gary M said:
My wife is from New Zealand and her Dad built a boat in their living room when she was young!

Going to look at a possible first boat to buy in 1997, she said, "You know my father says that it's very bad luck to change the name of a boat." Pulling up to the house, there's the boat on a trailer in the driveway....... complete with three foot high letters down the side, shouting out...... NANCY LEE! My wife's name is Jenn. "Okay, we can change the name if we buy this one"!

Year's later, we bought our 2001 Grady-White Marlin. I followed all the rules that Capt Nemo, Capt Ahab and even Charlie the Tuna have laid down over the centuries on the proper way to change the name of a boat/ship. Bought the boat and stripped the old name off right away. Waxed out the 'shadow' of the old name. Drove it 100 miles, nameless, to her new home dock. Then had the new name installed while splashing a Bahamian Kailk Gold beer on her bow! The new name was "HEY MON!"

Spending many trips in da Bahamas, I get great shout-outs from boaters at the Marinas over there! "Hey Mon! How you doing today?" Followed by smiles and laughs!

Pulling into Bahamian Marinas, I'll call them on the VHF. "Old Bahama Bay, this is the vessel HEY MON arriving and looking for a slip assignment please." Comes the Reply with a heavy Bahamian accent, "Hey Mon! How you doing today Mon? Your slip is C-13 and welcome back!" I can almost feel the smile on the dockmaster's face as he gives me the slip number!

029.jpg

What a great story and beautiful boat! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon with Boat Covers Direct

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sweet Marie...........my mom and my sister's name. Funny thing...that was the boats name before I bought it.
My brother in law and I were partners in my first Grady....it was named 50/50 by it's previous owner....fitting.

OZ WHITE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
My wife's family legend was that she was related to the last witch burned in England...Her grandmother always told her that she was the one that had the gift/power....So when we went to look at our GW 204c ..the boat was in great shape with a 60 hr. yamaha150 and the name "Sea Witch"....SOLD!IMG_2921.jpg

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"Vagabond" for us it represents the complete freedom we have once on board our 208 to cruise, fish, swim, snorkel year around, in what we believe to be the centre of the universe, here on the waters surrounding Vancouver Island. "a person who wanders from place to place without a home" While on the water time stops and home is where you drop the pick.......... trapper