Need a new Boat Cover

Average Joe

Reaction score
Well my cover lasted five years but it's definately time for a new one. My old one came from Boaters World, was made of lightweight polyester, and cost about $320.00.
It served it's purpose well for the first couple of years and then as it degraded it allowed moisture and dirt through the fabric leading to mildew issues.

I'm looking for suggestions on a new cover and I'm considering Sunbrella if I can find one that won't break the bank. The boat is driveway kept and we have alot of trees so a cover is a must.

Any input would be appreciated.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I ended up with the Imperial. My original intended use was to only need it when parked in hotel parking lots overnight. Just to keep prying eyes out. i wanted the lightest weight cover so I could throw it on easliy. Turned out that I used it to store the boat on the trailer during an Atlanta winter (no ice or snow). It worked fine but if I did that often I would want the heavier Titan.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think mine is pretty much the same as Bob's, but it came from Taylor-Made. Was 6 or 8oz gray polyester. West Marine made me a killer deal on a special order online. Was about $270 delivered. Good features are a bolt rope that cinches the bottom tight, loops for bungee or ropes to tie it down, and a doubler that goes over the winshield top for chaffe protection.

It has worked very well although it's just on year 3 here. I get mildew on the under side, not sure why as it's open in the back and gets plenty of ventilation. Hasn't seemed to affect anything, so I just bring it home a couple of times a year and scrub it down.

The other issues is it's a 'semi-custom' fit so it wouldn't clear the motor. I cut out for it and re-sewed the folded edge to finish it. And water pooled at the bow between the rails, even though I sewed-up the excess material for a better fit. This last year we got more rain that usual and I ended up running a piece of line from the nav-light socket on top of the windshield to the front of the bow rail. This eliminated pooling and worked out well.

A sunbrella cover is going to run about $800 to $1000. Our fellow member here KINGJ has a custom cover that goes over his bimini as he slips his and it's left rigged. He has the sand-bags that hold the bottom of the cover down over the hull. Works good, looks good, but was pretty close to $900 I think.

I feel the cover was worth every penny, mainly because it keeps the sun and dirt off the boat. So when we pull it off the boat looks like the day we put it away - I just love that. And it's pretty easy to put on or take off by myself, I like that too. Unless of course if it's blowing a gale, then forget it.

As cheap as it was, I'd probably go that way again, assuming I can get the 5 years or more life out of it. I think they're guaranteed for like 5 years or something. I figure it'll be shot by then.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Bob's Cay said:
I bought a trailerable (never tried it on the road) cover from Overton's. It fits the boat very well and was much cheaper than a custom cover. Here is a link to what I bought.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/boatcov ... &x=34&y=10

Thanks for the feedback gents. Bob I ordered the Titan from Overton's. At $230.00 on sale it's a great deal.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Average Joe said:
Bob's Cay said:
I bought a trailerable (never tried it on the road) cover from Overton's. It fits the boat very well and was much cheaper than a custom cover. Here is a link to what I bought.

Thanks for the feedback gents. Bob I ordered the Titan from Overton's. At $230.00 on sale it's a great deal.

Would that cover work on a 86 204c overnighter?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Average Joe said:
Bob's Cay said:

Weird that only blue and red are the sale price.