Need parts for my 226 transom Door

65aircooled

Reaction score
Don't know what the correct name is, but the folding door for the motor well has a broken latch out of the 2. When in rough waters, the door slams down and it scares the living lights out of my wife and kids.
I need to get it fixed before they stop going out fishing with me, and I need to figure out where to buy them and what they are called.
Have any of you replaced or fixed/modify those latches, are they even available?

Thanks in advance

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Without being overly familiar with your setup, would something like a hasp or a barrel lock work? In lieu of someone else knowing exactly, can you post a pic?

GeeDub

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are they the "door hook" style latches? If so I've seen very similar hardware at West Marine.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a rubber piece of plastic...it needs to be able to "breakaway" in the event you tilt the motor up and forget to put the door down....

GeeDub

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine are SS and hook style, one on each side. Good point about the breakaway function, but I can leave my door up with the motor trimmed all up and there is a few inches between the top of the motor head and the door. Could just be my particular model though. Or could be my old Merc just isn't that big! :)

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
I broke mine on my 226. I got the parts from my Grady Dealer. Call and tell them the part you broke. It's an easy fix.

65aircooled

Reaction score
Thank you all. Hood call on the need for the breakaway need, I was thinking of get ring a ss hasp of some kind but now I know why it has the design it has.
Ill contact a GW dealer, dint know they had parts for these old boats

65aircooled

Reaction score
PS. I will be fishing tomorrow so I'll take a couple of pics.