Need some help. Please

Bubba75

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
So I've found a boat I'm very interested in buying 305 express with twin 300 Yamahas. boat is a 2011 and has original motors. only thing I'm worried about is the 9 year old motors only have 180 hours. anyone have experience with older low hour motors ?

seasick

Reaction score
So I've found a boat I'm very interested in buying 305 express with twin 300 Yamahas. boat is a 2011 and has original motors. only thing I'm worried about is the 9 year old motors only have 180 hours. anyone have experience with older low hour motors ?
If the boat was used regularly and did not sit for seasons at a time, the low hours are not a concern. Ask about maintenance routines. If the current owner is the original owner, ask if the boat was purchased new or if it was a leftover. The 9 years could be less and is really 8 at most since I wouldn't count the 2020 season yet.
The maintenance is more of a concern than the hours. For example, in the worst case, no maintenance was done. That would be a giant red flag.

Reactions: bea5454

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Best money spent, if you really like the boat.. is a Survey. Get the person to agree that if the boat is good, you will cover the survey cost.. or meet half and half... but, a survey will be a major peace of mind...

Bubba75

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Best money spent, if you really like the boat.. is a Survey. Get the person to agree that if the boat is good, you will cover the survey cost.. or meet half and half... but, a survey will be a major peace of mind...
ill definitely have a survey and compression test done before I spend the money

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
And post pictures! it helps with lots of pictures, so we can goad you into buying it faster!.. I mean, enjoy it with you!.. lol

Seriously, with the help of the people on here, there really is nothing you cannot fix or get fixed. These folks helped me for the past year, more morale support than anything else....but it helps. If the hull is solid.. and the engines check out ... (exhaust issue.. have them scoped no matter what)... then, you will be fine.

Cannot wait to see your Grady ;)

R

Reactions: Bubba75

bea5454

Reaction score
In New England I remain amazed at the number of boats that get used 20 - 40 hours a season. In addition to compression/leakdown I would have a Yamaha tech download the engine report for you -- will provide you time at various RPM ranges and any default codes. If well-maintained I would be ecstatic to be on engines with sub 200 hours. Obviously, if you can get service records, very helpful.

Good luck!

Reactions: ScottyCee

Bubba75

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
BTW - looks great. My hull is one prior to the one you are looking at. GL.
I spoke with the mechanic that has done all the work on this boat today and he said it didn't matter if the boat only has 5 hours on it every year it got full service to the motors and the genset. he spoke very highly of the owner and said that it was very well maintained and he would show me all the service records and he could perform compression check if I would like. going to take a look at it this weekend

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I spoke with the mechanic that has done all the work on this boat today and he said it didn't matter if the boat only has 5 hours on it every year it got full service to the motors and the genset. he spoke very highly of the owner and said that it was very well maintained and he would show me all the service records and he could perform compression check if I would like. going to take a look at it this weekend
sounds like your buying the boat then.

seasick

Reaction score
In New England I remain amazed at the number of boats that get used 20 - 40 hours a season. In addition to compression/leakdown I would have a Yamaha tech download the engine report for you -- will provide you time at various RPM ranges and any default codes. If well-maintained I would be ecstatic to be on engines with sub 200 hours. Obviously, if you can get service records, very helpful.

Good luck!
I figure that there are approximately 16 usable weekends in the summer in the northeast. Let's say you go out on everyone and spend 5 or 6 hours on the water, often with family. How many of those hours are the motors or motor actually running? Perhaps 2 or three, especially if you take a run to a beach spot or a fishing spot. That works out to 48 hours of motor time. Now subtract for the weekends you didn't boat and you can see how many folks don't put a lot of hours on a boat.
Of course, in warmer weather climates, the numbers will often be higher and for hard core retired fishing persons, it can be a lot higher:)

Bubba75

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I figure that there are approximately 16 usable weekends in the summer in the northeast. Let's say you go out on everyone and spend 5 or 6 hours on the water, often with family. How many of those hours are the motors or motor actually running? Perhaps 2 or three, especially if you take a run to a beach spot or a fishing spot. That works out to 48 hours of motor time. Now subtract for the weekends you didn't boat and you can see how many folks don't put a lot of hours on a boat.
Of course, in warmer weather climates, the numbers will often be higher and for hard core retired fishing persons, it can be a lot higher:)
We normally run 65 to 80 miles 1 way here to fish.

seasick

Reaction score
Fish are a lot closer to my dock in Jamaica Bay NY:)

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Well they accepted my offer. Now to schedule sea trial and survey this week.

Don’t want to put the horse before the cart but that looks like a very nice boat! Wish I could've found a hardtop model like that... Looking forward to your updates!

Reactions: Bloodweiser

seasick

Reaction score
I think I've seen this boat....IN MY DREAMS!

Hope the trail and survey go well. Love those 300S.

Cutawy

Reaction score
Model
Release
How did you make out?? Sweet boat!

Bubba75

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
sea trial went well and bank was dumb enough to give me the money, Trailer should be built in 2 weeks and she will be coming to her new home. On the pins 4 guys and full of fuel hit 40 knots, at 4500 RPM was at 32 knots 1.8 mpg and 4,000 RPM was 27 knots 2.0 mpg Anyone have the 305 and have a pedestal rocket launcher in it ?