Need to Replace Fold Down Bench Retaining Clips

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi. I need to replace the clips and their mounting blocks that hold the bar of the aft fold down bench in place (when in stored position). This is for a 2008 Sailfish 282. I contacted Grady White Service, and they were great. They gave me part number "10-152 CLIP 7/8" BLACK AFT SEAT HARDWARE" for the clip itself, but nothing for the hard plastic mounting block.

I have attached a few pics of my clips and mounting blocks. On one side the clip popped off (while I was polishing the area with my potary polisher), and on the other side the clip is somewhat flattened from the bar laying on top of it instead of fitting into the cliip. Also, you can see that both mounting blocks are cracked. Both mounting blocks still work, so I may be opening a can of worms by trying to replace them, but I think this is a good preventive measure.

Questions:
1) Has anyone used something different for these clips? Seems like these clips, or something similar, might be available at a plumbing or electrical store, for holding hoses or conduit in place.
2) Any ideas on what could be used to replace the cracked mounting blocks? I think some hard plastic of the same approximate size would be fine, and then I could drill the necessary holes. What material could be used to start with, and ideas?

As always, TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_8520.jpg
    IMG_8520.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8521.jpg
    IMG_8521.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8522.jpg
    IMG_8522.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 3

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It kinda looks like a plain old pole holder clip - of which there are MANY widely available. There are kinds made out rubber, as well - which are probably better. Also some made out of SS.

Google or Amazon for something like boat pole holder clip. Or, if you have a marine retail store (absolutely doesn't need to be a Grady dealer) they probably have something in stock.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Questions:
1) Has anyone used something different for these clips? Seems like these clips, or something similar, might be available at a plumbing or electrical store, for holding hoses or conduit in place.

I haven't had to replace, so no comment.

2) Any ideas on what could be used to replace the cracked mounting blocks? I think some hard plastic of the same approximate size would be fine, and then I could drill the necessary holes. What material could be used to start with, and ideas?

How about PVC pipe or rubber hose with a wood dowel inside?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Questions:
1) Has anyone used something different for these clips? Seems like these clips, or something similar, might be available at a plumbing or electrical store, for holding hoses or conduit in place
I haven't had to replace, so no comment.

How about PVC pipe or rubber hose with a wood dowel inside?
1) See my comment above. I've used so many of these types of things, it's hard to narrow it down. Other than the suggestion to use the rubber or SS ones.

2) The sky's the limit - it's just a simple spacer. An old plastic cutting board can be used by cutting it up. It's made from HDPE. PVC trim board from Home Depot is another easy solution. But, really, just about anything can be used.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you all for your responses. Very good ideas! I have found a clip on-line for about $3 each (plus $5 shipping), which doesnt seem bad for 2 clips. And I have plenty of scrap PVC boards (Azek) that I should be able to use as a new base. Thanks again!

Reactions: JJF