New 205 Tournament Owner with alot of general questions

timberxx

Reaction score
It was a long drive from South Carolina to Virginia to pick up my used 2004 tournament 205, but worth the trip. I sent photos to get uploaded to the photo section. I read my manuals tonight and have a few questions.

1. The seastar manual doesn't have an interval for flushing the fluid, what do you guys suggest?

2. The seastar manual was vague on checking the amount of fluid. How would I do that?

3. I heard that grady has a lifetime wood warranty. The manual I got only mentions a 5 year hull warranty. Is there a lifetime wood warranty? Doesn't the 5 year warranty seem a too short?

4. The boat wasn't used since last summer. I am going to change out both the 10 micon and under cowling fuel filter. Would you suggest getting the gas pumped out and replacing it with fresh or just burning it off.

5. In previous posts I mentioned I may have a ground loose that is preventing my gauges from working properly. How would I start to look for this short?

6. What is the suggested product for cleaning vinyl?

Thanks guys.

striped bass

Reaction score
"I heard that grady has a lifetime wood warranty. The manual I got only mentions a 5 year hull warranty. Is there a lifetime wood warranty? Doesn't the 5 year warranty seem a too short?"

GW switched wood type in 1997 or 08 to have longer lasting wood cores. Grady wood policy is a "limited" warranty. If you have a problem give Grady corporate a call and they will make it right.

Grady replaced the deck panels last year on my 1998 Grady White due to wood core problems. That is top level support any way you look at it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
timberxx said:
It was a long drive from South Carolina to Virginia to pick up my used 2004 tournament 205, but worth the trip. I sent photos to get uploaded to the photo section. I read my manuals tonight and have a few questions.

1. The seastar manual doesn't have an interval for flushing the fluid, what do you guys suggest?

2. The seastar manual was vague on checking the amount of fluid. How would I do that?

3. I heard that grady has a lifetime wood warranty. The manual I got only mentions a 5 year hull warranty. Is there a lifetime wood warranty? Doesn't the 5 year warranty seem a too short?

4. The boat wasn't used since last summer. I am going to change out both the 10 micon and under cowling fuel filter. Would you suggest getting the gas pumped out and replacing it with fresh or just burning it off.

5. In previous posts I mentioned I may have a ground loose that is preventing my gauges from working properly. How would I start to look for this short?

6. What is the suggested product for cleaning vinyl?

Thanks guys.

Congratulations...I had a 205 Tournament as well...they are great boats.

1.) You don't need to worry about flushing the fluid in the system. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

2.) There is a cap on the top of the helm...you can open it there and check the level of the fluid.

3.) As mentioned by everyone else...if you have a problem, GW will make it good. Call them at 252-752-2111 and get the boat registered to you. This gets you on their mailing list for the Anchorline newsletter, and helps them to find you.

4.) I would fill the tank up with fresh fuel (premium) - add ring free and a fuel stabilzer (Pri-G, Star Tron, etc...) and run the fuel through. Change the 10 micron filter in the fuel line....run it...and then change it again after you burn the first tank. For $20 or so, its cheap insurance.

5.) I would start by removing both batteries, cleaning the terminals, adding distilled water, coating the terminals with a little dielectric grease, and put everything back together. Make sure all your connections are tight. If the problem still persists, check the fuse block which is located in the compartment in front of the helm.

6.) My cleaning bucket has the following in it...Orpine Boat Soap w/ waxl; Woody Wax for the deck; 303 for the vinyl; Simple Green and a Mr Clean Magic Eraser for those difficult spots. For waxes and cleaners, I like Collinite. Not always easy to find (the local West Marine generally has to order it in) but excellent results.

jellyfish

Reaction score
was it 97 or 98 that Grady changed the wood?