New member, I Just got my first Grady!!

Tideslave

Reaction score
I found this web site and could not believe the all the info on Grady's and how helpful everyone is, so I had to join in.

I just purchased a '89 23s Gulfstream with twin '01 OX66 150's with dozens of little issues that I am planning on fixing. I am looking forward to learning all I can about these boating ledgens. I am not new to boating even though this is the biggest boat that I have ever owned. I also have a 21' Sea Pro bay boat and a 14' Sea Mark skiff for my back water fishing.

If there is any suggestions and/or cautions please let me know.

striped bass

Reaction score
Have a great time with your new Grady.
Check out the fuse panel and wiring which can be faulty for a boat of this vintage. Make sure all of the float sensors (oil and gas) are wortking properly and registering correctly on your console gauges. If you have a VHF system try a few transmits and see what distance you get. The aerial can wear out and inhibit transmission distance. The trim motor can corrode back by the engine so check it out for rust and corrosion caused by galvanic action (there is a big magnet in the casing which creates the galvanic action).
Be sure to use Ring Free in the gas and it wouldn't hurt to use Yamalube oil. Also be sure to add Store and Save (or an equivalent) to the gas.

Have fun and enjoy. Post a few pics.

wilson

Reaction score
89, change all plastic thru fitiings esp at the water line. wiring is tuff on these girls. soon if not now you'll need a gas tank or two. forget the pretty stuff for now and make sure she's ready for sea. mines a 89 sailfish and i have done alot over two years. still a couple of little things but over all she is go. these boats for their size are full on battle wagons. enjoy!!

Tideslave

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me with my list. Just fixed the broken bait/wash down valve, and a small weld repair on the top. The new battle is the bilge pump wiring. But I have had her out twice now and she is not afraid. Thanks for the suggestions, Please keep them coming.
Thanks, Rob