New Member...

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi All!

New to the forum and just thought I would introduce myself! I just bought a 1986 GW Overnighter 204C from a good friends dad, who has had it since new. I have been around this boat my whole life, and am no stranger to Grady's... The boat was repowered last season with a 2007 leftover 225 E-Tec, all new hydraulic steering, etc and only had 13 hours put on the motor last year.

I picked her up yesterday, and I have my work cut out for my with some spring cleaning before she goes in the water. I figured I would compound the hull and smooth fiberglass with 3M microfinishing, followed by 3M Finesse it, followed by a good coat of carnuba paste wax. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them, especially if anyone knows how to get some of the minor "pitting" out of the hardtop supports. The boat will be kept behind my in-laws house on Cabin John Creek in MD, which is fresh water, so I shouldn't really have to worry about the salt any longer.. :D

Also, if anyone knows where I can get some replacement drop curtains, I would appreciate the pointer...

I look forward to being a part of this forum, and it seems as though there are a ton of great people on here, I look forward to getting to know you, maybe even seeing you on the water!

-Bren

Average Joe

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. As for the curtains, you'll probably have to solicit a local canvas guy to make them for you.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome... Sounds like your on the right track with the waxing, use woodys wax on the supports and all metal on it.Helps with the pits and will seal the metal for the season. Also can use woodys on the nonskid deck. Helps with the fish and bait blood too.

Some things to check if you have not:

If original, Take up the Fuel tank cover and check tank and compartment. Replace all fuel lines if original Reseal cover with new caulk.
(10% ethenol fuel will start to eat away at the old hoses).

check and lube hinges on fishbox doors, ect Hard to find replacments if they break.

Remove cover from inside cabin access to fuse panel and electrical, check all connectors and fuse box for corrosion.

If original, Relpace side thru hulls. Lots of effort to do this but well worth it.

Have had mine for about 6 months now , been using it since early Apr, great boat!, have had more problems with the trailer than the boat.
If using on fresh water will have better ride, bounces around pretty good in 3-4 ft chops. Every can of soda we opened after a good run resulted in someone geting sprayed in the face. Lol

Have fun and welcome. There are lots of older Grady owners here as well who will give some great advise.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Average Joe - I figured I would have to have them made. I just have to find someone who can do it without a template...

sfc2113 - Thanks for the advice. The boat was previously owned by my best friends dad, I have been on / around it since I was a kid, and in the past few years have really been more involved, so I have a fair knowledge of what has / has not been replaced. Some of the things on your list piqued my curiousity though and I will have to look into them. Thanks for the words of wisdom... :)

-Bren

Average Joe

Reaction score
bdevlin5983 said:
Average Joe - I figured I would have to have them made. I just have to find someone who can do it without a template...
-Bren

Bren, look at the attached. It's a link to the Maryland forum on Tidalfish.com. You can register for free or pay ~ $15 dollars a year for a membership that gives you more features. I bet if you ask for some recommendations on there you will get some help in finding someone in your area.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/chesape ... nd-angler/