New to the board- Sailfish 272 ?s

Capt Tooch

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Whats up, my name is Joe and I am new to the boards. I purchased my Grady 272 Sailfish last year and I absolutely love it. I am In NJ at AH Marina if anyone is local.

As we approach spring, I am going through my spring prep list, wanted to see what you guys do and would suggest before splashing.

Also to note, This will be my second year as a boat owner ! Fishing for about 8 years on buddies boats and finally bought my own last year. Boat was in excellent condition and well maintained.

Has twin Yamaha ox66 200 motors with only around 500 hours.

Ran great last year and ended placing in two local tournaments with her. Cant wait to get back out there.

Wanted to know if you guys recommend and brand or model saltwater wash-down pump as I am looking to change mine.

Attachments

• IMG_399711111.JPG
    IMG_399711111.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,618

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Congrats on the boat! This will be my second year with my 272, but I have had a bunch of Yamaha OB's. If it is an OX66 I would recommend sending the injectors out to be cleaned. Those motors will run forever with a clean fuel system and cooling system. I would also consider replacing all the filters in the fuel system as well. There is one in the VST tanks on the high pressure pump, and also a filter on the fuel pressure regulator under the hood, common causes for symptoms during the season.

Water pumps are easy to replace, I do mine every other year, and there is an updated popit valve by yamaha also.

As far as the boat, I had an issue with a fuse block going bad, just check all of your connections and figure out the electrical gremlins now instead of waiting until its in the water.

The motor stuff may sound like a lot, but it is not that bad at all. If you are mechanical at all, each is pretty easy. Do a search here and thehulltruth.com and you will find a lot of info and pictorials on how to maintain each. I used "the fuel injector man" for my injectors, money well spent!

Good luck and have fun with he boat!

Andrew

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check Sure flow blast master 2.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats on a fine boat! You will love her!

I replaced mine with the Shurflo Pro Blaster. It is great. The original pumps were Shurflo installed by Grady and they lasted 23 years, so no reason to move away hoping they still make them as good as back then.

I actually added a second pump. Using the original on the livewell, and put in a 3 way fitting to supply water to the washdown ProBlaster pump directly. So no longer have to use the 3 way valve which was always a pain to get to. I can run livewell and ProBlaster at the same time when needed. Good upgrade.

fellinger

Reaction score
Hey there. I am in NJ as well. It is also the second season with my 272 (1995). Like you I love it. I keep it in Manasquan River. I frequently fish for tuna and shark. I also make it up your way for stripers. If you'd like to buddy up offshore let me know.

Good luck with the new rig!

Fred

Capt Tooch

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys

I am going to look into cleaning the injectors now, I know there is a place in NJ that does it, but I think they charge around 20 per.

Going to look into the shurflo model

Fred would love to buddy up, do the same type of fishing, shark tournaments and midshore tuna, make it to the chicken and ap often

1998sailfish

Reaction score
And don't forget to replace the in line oil injection filters. They are located on the remote oil tanks near the transfer pumps. Yes..........under the live well :bang ......... MWhen I owned my 272 I thought I had gone thru the motors completely ( VST's High pressure pumps, low pressure pumps, cleaned fuel tanks, new fuel lines, plugs, cleaned injectors, new O2 sensors, thermostats) until I was shut down on a 45 mile trip by a $8 filter (x2). I was forced to add oil to the on engine tank manually to make the trip home. Do yourself a favor, pull the live well and change the filters......... you can clean the rust from the tank brackets while you're at it :D

272 are great boats..........enjoy!