New Yamaha 250--"Water in Fuel"

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an 08 225 with a Yamaha 250. At 13 hrs it started ringing an alarm and indicating "Water in Fuel". As luck would have it, my dealer's tech was down river and stopped at 5pm (damn good service).

He pulled the cowl and no water. Apparently , a sensor problem . Have any of you had this problem??

GWcpa

Reaction score
I think there was just another post just like this a few days ago. Turned out no water in the filter, but was attributed to E10 fuel.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
viperdrum said:
I have an 08 225 with a Yamaha 250. At 13 hrs it started ringing an alarm and indicating "Water in Fuel". As luck would have it, my dealer's tech was down river and stopped at 5pm (damn good service).

He pulled the cowl and no water. Apparently , a sensor problem . Have any of you had this problem??
Viperdrum,
Let me know what this turned out to be. Picking up my 225 Memorial Day weekend. Thanks

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
I got the alarm at 6 hours on my 250. Talked to the mechanic at my dealer and he said there has been a run of this issue and says it is indeed the sensor. He will replace at the 10/20 hour. Have not had it sense that time. I have the same boat and motor go figure. Love the boat and it catches fish. My first time out trolling today in the Bay. Went solo with three rods. Caught 2 rock this AM, must be the boat or I am really lucky. I must have been quite a sight fighting fish, umbrella rig, tangled lines and fumbling with the net. It was AWSOME. I gave those two back to the BAY. Will have the hungry crew out tomorrow.

ticklestik

Reaction score
I have 07 - 28 Release with 250's and just had this problem. The alarm was only on the port engine. The dealer agreed to drain the fuel and thought the problem was from a poor grade of fuel from one of the local marinas. He recommended that I replace the Yamaha fuel filters with Racors which I did and get fuel from another marina which I did.

I had the problem come up once again, drained the fuel from the Racor and there was about 1/4 cup of water. Since then, so far, so good.

I still suspect that the problem is in the sensor, but will keep everyone posted.