No barrier coat...removing bottom paint

GOA

Reaction score
I have a 180 sportsman...the previous owner had a slip and the boat had an ablative bottom paint. Since buying the boat, I only trailered it. I would like to get rid of the flaking bottom paint and get back to an unpainted hull. The boat does not have a barrier coat since as the boat flakes the hull under the paint is white and shiny. I have a chemical stripper but it going to be quite a job. Any suggests from folks who have experience with this issue.
GOA :roll:

uncljohn

Reaction score
If it sat in a slip with only paint and no barrier coat, you might discover more than just flaky paint and shiny gelcoat. Blisters.

First of all, if you go with a soda blast, it will essentially sand the gelcoat lightly, so it won't be shiny. And you probably wouldn't do well running with a 'scuffed' bottom. So you may end up putting a barrier coat on anyhow, just to clean up the hull ad properly seal it.

If you use a chemical stripper, you won't scuff the gelcoat, but that can be a nasty job.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I did the same thing you are thinking. I had it soda blasted and it removed it good but the bottom did not look good after. Now I have an epoxy barrier coat on the bottom. So far I like it, will not wear off and protects the bottom a little better than gel. Below is a pic, let me know what you think. It does not match like gel but looks 100% better than flaking off paint.

GOA

Reaction score
Looks good but...

Big K
Your boat looks very good...but did you see the refinished bottom on the Grady in the Strike Zone site mentioned above...absolutely unbelievable!!!
GOA :lol:

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Yes that boat looks amazing! I would rather have mine like that but I'm still happy.

GOA

Reaction score
BigK
You should be very happy...and I'd guess you paid a good deal less
GOA :lol: