Opinion on 305 vs 330 Purchase?

NorthStar

Reaction score
Hiya Grady Guys- I am finally going to get a GW boat. I have wanted one my whole life and the time has come. I am a little torn between a late model but used 305 Express or a 330 Express, they will likely both have twin Yamaha F250's. Price tag aside, I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of each (ie towability vs cabin space etc). Can anybody who has owned or ridden on both help me understand how ownership of each may be different? I would be willing to pay the extra money for the 330 if it's worth it. I will mainly be using it for fishing and maybe staying on it now and then on a weekend or the night before a tuna run offshore to get an early start. Do they both have fairly similar seakeeping abilities when the ocean gets nasty? Or does size matter in this case? Thanks for any input that members may have.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The beam on my 330 is 11' 7" and dry weight is 10,000 lbs not counting engines, gear and 350 gallons of fuel. The height is 9' 10" without the trailer. I think trying to trailer this boat around would require a very large truck and trailer and wouldn't be much fun - except short distances. Moved up from a 272 Sailfish to a 330 express for creature comforts. We love the boat but I hear good things about the 305.

NorthStar

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Yes the towing of the 330 vs 305 (and the ability to bring it home for the winter) is one of the tradeoffs I am looking at. Also the HP to size/weight ratio considering that both would have F250's on them. Down the road, I would likely repower with 300 or 350 but I won't be able to afford that for a while. Does the 330 feel considerably safer than your Sailfish when it turns snotty out there? Or does the extra HP to size/weight ratio make up for that in seakeeping ability?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Own the 300, but the 305 is the same hull as the 300. Have fished on the 330 and 305 before.
If you find one that works financially, the 330 is just way more boat. I view them as the 282 sailfish to the 300 marlin. You give up cockpit sq' with the 305 versus the 300, so if this matters the 330 wins. The helm is another area that really bothers me when you have a crew on board. On the 305 it feels very tight, the 330 is obviously better with another foot of beam.
Boats are all compromise, but the 305 feels like they tired to do too much for that size hull. Just my opinion. If it were me it would be a 330.

NorthStar

Reaction score
Thanks, these are very good points that I had not considered. Very helpful things to think about!

alfa1023

Reaction score
Have never been on the 305, but own a 330. I would be concerned about how tight the helm area would be on the 305. I like the center helm setup for driving the boat, but when we have several people on board, especially if they are in/out of the cabin with "stuff", the helm area gets crowded and tight. I would think the slightly less beam on the 305 would just add to this issue. Now if its just you and the wife, or just a couple of people, its probably a non-issue.

Either way, you will love either of these boats.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I've owned my 330 for three years now and have also ridden on a 30 foot Marlin a few times.
Yes, the 33 is a bigger, heavier, boat but you're not going to go out on a really rough day on either boat.
The 305 Express is like a "mini me" of the 330 as is a 265 which I owned before the 330.
What I really like about all of the Express models is you enjoy all that beam down inside your cabin. The walk arounds have a noticeably smaller cabin in exchange for that forward walkway.

The 305 will of course be faster, maybe alot faster. The 330 will be more comfortable and spacious.
So - you need to ask yourself - how important is it to trailer or transport the boat? The 330 is a beast in this regard while the 305 is much more "doable" in this regard. And, how many people do you expect to take out? And how much over nighting will you do? If alot - I'd lean towards the 330, if not alot, the 305 will do nicely. Other factors to consider are gensets and bow thrusters. I'll never have another boat without these luxury items.

In summary - you'll enjoy either one! In a dead tie, bigger is always better IMHO! We absolutely love our 330.
Good luck in your search!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I do not own either, but have friends with both.
Two Points..
1.) I have towed my friends 330 for a short distance and it is not advised. The rig with trailer weighs around 16K with full fuel. It exceeds both the height and width restrictions for towing. A full ton dual wheel diesel is a must and the trailer has to be a tri-axle and have the proper braking system. Try to stop that thing coming off an exit ramp with less-than-adequate brakes on either the truck or trailer and your day is ruined. You will also have to pre-plan your route to avoid bridges, tree branches, canopies, etc. Keep that thing in the water or on a lift.
2.)My buddy's 330 is underpowered, in my opinion. His 250's have to spin around 4800 or so to run it 30 MPH. he gets 1.2 MPG and I think the engines are working too hard. I have another bud who has the 305 with 350's and it's a much better match. He turns 4300-4500 to cruise around 30 and gets 1.5 MPG or so. The 330 needs 300's or 350's.

Luck to ya' You'll enjoy either boat, I think.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Correction..
My friends 305 has the 250's also. His cruising numbers are 1.5 MPG (roughly) and 4300-4500 at 30 MPH or so.

Another note while I'm typing this..The height estimate on the 330 when we towed it was around 14 ft. Take off the radar dome, GPS antenna and maybe it comes down to 13' 5" or 13 6". I seriously would consider a professional transport service to move this boat if your only moving it twice a year or so. By the time you purchase the permits, the tow vehicle,(if you don't already have it) and pay for diesel fuel while getting less than 10 MPG, using a transport company sure sounds like the path of least resistance. You'll be into this boat for over 100K; Why risk problems or worse on the road?

alfa1023

Reaction score
I agree with MagicBill to a degree. I have F250's on my boat and if I won the lottery tomorrow, would put the new F300's on it in a heartbeat. I am getting a bit better speed/rpm than he mentions for his friend's boat (4800 rpm is giving me 34mph +/- depending on sea state and load). The MPG is dead on at 1.2 (best case - also dependent on sea state and load).

But the F250's seem to be adequate power for the boat. She is no hot rod out of the hole, but at 14,000lbs+, I don't think she would ever have the hole shot of all the go-fast center console guys. But up and running with our usual load of divers/dive gear, she seems to be in a sweet spot between 4600 rpm to 5000rpm and the motors don't feel overworked at all. A good friend who is also a certified Yamaha mechanic told me when I bought the boat that these motors would run thousands of hours at 5000 rpm.

I guess my point is if you find a nice boat with F250's on it with low hours, all else being equal, I would jump on it.

As to trailering the 305 - we had a 272 Sailfish prior to the 330 and it was all I wanted to mess with towing wise. I towed it with a V10 F250, so had plenty of towing power. The issue was the height issues as previously mentioned as well as tight ramp areas, gas stations, etc. The negative is of course I now spend way more $$ in fuel motoring the boat to the Keys/Bahamas, etc. versus trailering it. But as I tell my wife, if we can't afford the fuel for the beast, we have no business owning her.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
alfa1023;
Interesting that you get better performance on yours. I suppose there is variation with all boat/engine combo's, and I'm not sure of my friends prop setup.
I am no Yamaha tech; if the engines are not overworked, then that's reliable news. My 232 runs 30-31 MPH at 3800-3900. I rarely run over 4000 continuously, so when I'm onboard my buddy's 330, it seems to me like his engines are screaming. Just perception, I guess.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Bill,

Any chance your buddies boat has bottom paint? I have Yamaha SSII 3 blade 15" pitch props on mine - what Grady put on it day 1. Max RPM is between 5800 and 6000 rpm, so theoretically my boat is correctly. Would love to try 4 blade props for a better hole shot, but I digress.

When I first got the boat, the higher RPM's had me worried also. I had F250's on my 272 Sailfish and it obviously needed much lower RPM's for similar speeds. My mechanic buddy said not to worry - better to run them and run them hard than to let them sit and not use them at all. He also is a strong advocate of a few minutes at WOT on the way home. Time will tell how the motors hold up.

I am religious about using non-ethanol fuel with ring-free mixed in with every gallon, motors get their annual 100 hour service at the Grady dealer and motors are flushed with Salt-A-Way after every use. Hopefully its worth the time and $$.

Jim

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
NorthStar said:
Thank you for your reply. Yes the towing of the 330 vs 305 (and the ability to bring it home for the winter) is one of the tradeoffs I am looking at. Also the HP to size/weight ratio considering that both would have F250's on them. Down the road, I would likely repower with 300 or 350 but I won't be able to afford that for a while. Does the 330 feel considerably safer than your Sailfish when it turns snotty out there? Or does the extra HP to size/weight ratio make up for that in seakeeping ability?

The 330 rides and feels like a big boat but it is slower. We cruise around 30 at 4800 rpms. Ran it to haul out a few weeks back with no equipment aboard and max seems to be 52-5400 rpms (if I recall correctly) but not much faster. As for handling, yes the 330 handles larger seas better than the 272 - although we never had a problem in rough seas with the sailfish. Been in 8-10 before and handled well. If you go bigger, expect bigger costs. We too plan to repower to 300s down the road.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
alfa1023 said:
Bill,

Any chance your buddies boat has bottom paint? I have Yamaha SSII 3 blade 15" pitch props on mine - what Grady put on it day 1. Max RPM is between 5800 and 6000 rpm, so theoretically my boat is correctly. Would love to try 4 blade props for a better hole shot, but I digress.

When I first got the boat, the higher RPM's had me worried also. I had F250's on my 272 Sailfish and it obviously needed much lower RPM's for similar speeds. My mechanic buddy said not to worry - better to run them and run them hard than to let them sit and not use them at all. He also is a strong advocate of a few minutes at WOT on the way home. Time will tell how the motors hold up.

I am religious about using non-ethanol fuel with ring-free mixed in with every gallon, motors get their annual 100 hour service at the Grady dealer and motors are flushed with Salt-A-Way after every use. Hopefully its worth the time and $$.

Jim

Jim;
Just got back in town..

No bottom paint; It just occurred to me that I have another friend,(we are all in the same Grady club) that has the same 330/twin 250's setup that gets roughly the same numbers. I'm pretty sure both have factory prop setups, but I'll ask. It's encouraging that you get better performance, maybe they are missing something? They trim up to about 3-4 bars and use little to no tabs except for leveling.
I have also heard that the 4-strokes like to be ran hard every now and then. I'll do that when conditions allow sometimes. From your maintenance procedure, I'd say you'll get lots of time on those engines.

Back to Northstar; I still say either of those boats will make you smile pretty big. If towing is important, the 305 is your best bet.

NorthStar

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your reply's. This has been very helpful. Special thanks to HMBJack for taking me for a ride on his beautiful 330! The boat perfprmed flawlessly with the twin F250's. What a great boat and maintained so meticulously. One can really see the pride in ownership. Jack even greeted us with some beautiful crispy rockfish he prepared on the boat. what hospitality!! I see what a good bunch the Grady guys are, can't wait to "join the club"!!

After being on the 330 I see what everyone is talking about regarding towing. That baby is a BIG a$$ boat.. it would be pucker time for me to tow it farther than from the ramp to the parking lot. I'm sure I would have to get a new truck, my GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Diesel is pretty substantial but I don't think would even handle it safely. Although I know I would would love the 330, it is feeling like for my purposes, I would be better off with a 300 Marlin or 305 Express. I can haul it out myself and store it in my buddy's new boat barn he is building, he has a maximum height of 12 feet on the trailer.

I am wondering if any members currently have the 300 Marlin or 305 Express and tow them? If so what is your experience about that and what kind of truck you are using to tow your boat?