Opinions on 1996 Chase 02 power

arich

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 1996 Grady Chase with twin 2002 200 SWS2 engines.

Boat is clean and mechanically in good shape.
2 new batteries in 2009
Automatic bilge pump
Garmin GPS Map 4212 chartplotter/fishfinder
Garmin Radar
VHF

Opinions on the Hull?

Opinions on the engines?

Fair price?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those OX66 SWS motors can't be beat. For piece of mind I'd disconnect the oil pump and premix for piece of mind. I'd like to see a side by side performance comparison between the SWS and the 4-strokes. I bet the 2-smokes are faster.

no problem

Reaction score
I think yamaha has the oil injection figured out. No reason to disconnect it. you will use less oil and smoke less. Consider a survey, a lot can happen to a boat in 14 years. Good luck and keep us posted.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha does have the best oiling system. BUT, it is high maintenance item. There is a 10-14 step maintenance procedure that should be done every year ending with flushing the system with diesel. I'm sure there are a few guys that do this but as a rule it's not done because the oil tank is in such a remote place and a is major PIA to get to and remove. I've never heard of 1-case of an OX66 being replaced because it was just worn out. Every case of a motor blowing up, that I've heard of, is the oil injection went bad or the water pump failed. For ME, eliminating the system eliminates something else to think about. You have to dump oil somewhere. Use good oil and you don't have smoke, smell, or fouled plugs. I just pulled my O2 sensor and it was clean as a whisle. Oil injection doesn't make the engine run any better, it makes it more environmently friendly (so they say). Just MHO.

TunaT

Reaction score
chase with 2-stroke

I have the newer version.....273 where the chase you are looking at i believe is the 263, not much difference in hulls. I can tell you the hull i have has taken on some seas, probably conditions i should not have been out in, but thats fishing. Can't catch anything at the dock or in my case on the trailer. As far as loading and unloading the boat......Piece of cake, I can easily unload the boat in 5 mins or less, totally by myself. loading takes some practice....I do run the 225 4-strokes, so i can not tell you about those 2 stroke engines....PM, me if you want details on the boat in general....

PJJR

Reaction score
The 273 and the 2000, 2001 263's were about a foot and a half longer in running surface; after Grady took the hull straight back to the transom.

I've been on both:

the 263 w/twin 2000 SWS Ran very nice in a tight chop

The 273 w/ twin 200 hpdis, A bit less bow movement, and a nice ride.

They are very nice fishing/sunning, tubing or cocktail boats - Don't think you can go wrong. Have her surveyed and enjoy.