Opinions on Penn setups is this a deal I can't pass up?

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have the option to buy 2 penn international 80s and two 50s in good to excellent shape, no mono on 4 biscayne roller rods 50/80 with straight through aftcos bases? Asking 1400 cash. So is this a deal I can't pass up or what? I'd also like to know what your thoughts are on single speed which are these verses two speed?

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Opinions on Penn setups is this , deal I can't pass up?

That sounds like a fantastic deal. I would snap those up in a heartbeat. When I lived in the Marshall Islands 10-years ago, I used to run two 50 two-speeds, two 80 one-speeds, and a 130 one-speed (and an old 12/0 which had my favorite clicker!) With the Penn two-speeds, I never really felt I could use the low gear unless the fish was down deep under the boat. If it was out behind the boat, and I shifted to low gear, it would never fail that the fish would turn around and charge the boat and I wouldn't be able to keep up in low gear. The earlier Penn's were difficult to shift from low-to-high in the heat of the moment when the fish was charging. I always thought they designed that backwards - they made it easy to shift from high to low, just press the button. However when shifting from high to low, you have all the time in the world to shift. When shifting from low to high, you have to press the button and pull the handle at the same time, which, in the heat to the moment when your are cranking as fast as you can, is hard to do IMHO. The newer ones shift better - more like the Tiagras. I prefer Penn's to Shimanos mainly because I do not like to add to our trade deficit when I don't have to. That is another reason why I love my E-TECS... :wink:

-Scott

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is a good and could be a great deal depending upon use, condition, age and if recently serviced.
As a compare, I got (4) one year old Penn 50 VSWs spooled on good tuna rods for $1800 that were hardly used and in perfect condition.
Dual speed reels cost more than single speed reels, they weight more and have more components. They offer an advantage for larger fishin >70 lbs or so. The low gear lets you crank and gain line that you can't in higher gear with larger fish.
So all depends upon what you are planning to use for and what you hook into.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What do you want to fish for? and how? If you're going stand-up you don't need more than a 50 spooled with braid. Given the choice I'd go 2 speed with anything over 30's, just because it's not a problem for me others on the boat may not be able to handle it.