Picking Up My First Grady

JOSH S

Reaction score
This upcoming Thursday I'm heading down to Little River, SC to pick a new to me 1997 Grady White Sailfish 272. :D I'll be cruising it up the ICW to Morehead City, NC where she will be berthed. I'll post pics once I make it home. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for me. I'll be adding a healthy dose of startron and yamaha ring free to the gas before we leave. My TowBoatUS policy is paid up and I have my charts all ready to go. Any tips or suggestions to make this journey is much appreciated.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Good luck on the trip home. You will love the boat. I had a 1996 272 I bought new and had for 6 seasons until I moved up to a 30 Marlin. Its a great boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
I'm sure you thought of this but definitely make several trail runs close to where you bought the boat before you strike out on a long distance venture. An eleven year old boat (even a Grady) can have some issues that you will want to straighten out before you make a long distance run.

Look forward to seeing your pics.

JOSH S

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I won't leave till all is checked out and good. I did that before I bought the boat. I made note of several things that needed a little work like the wipers, lights, horn. Everything looks good for the most part, it has been well maintained. Nevertheless, I will be carrying spare filters, clamps, hose, electrical kit, tools, etc just in case. I'm also splitting the trip intotwo legs. The first leg will be up to carolina beach on Thursday. The second will be Carolina beach to morehead city the next day. If the weather is nice I may troll for spanish or blues on the ocean side on Friday for a few hours. I just finished downloading the route into my garmin handheld.