Pioneer Boats

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last week I went to my first Grady Owners Club meeting a Baert Marine which is located north of Boston. They put out a nice spread and I had a good time - met and chatted with some folks, had some good discussions with their mechanics, etc. It was definitely worthwhile.

Anyway, in addition to Gradys, they also sell Pioneer boats which run up to about 22 feet. Due to their shape I first thought they were Gradys until I looked more closely - the looked pretty nice. Grady White could take a lesson from them on how to build transoms - check out the third video on the list here called "The Transom Cover Up". He starts by saying look at this transom and tell me what is missing:

http://www.pioneerboats.com/video.html

Fishtales

Reaction score
There has been a few threads on the aluminum strip that GW installs on the back of the transom and I agree 100% that it is not the best method. I noticed at the boat show this year that GW changed the material from aluminum to a type of plastic but still with screws. This solves the problem that some have observed - the aluminum strip corroding but does nothing to address water intrusion under the cap or through the screws.

My dealer also sells Pioneer boats and had them at the show. The salesman was quick to point the glassed transom to me and how it was much better than that other boats. So I agree, I hope GW investigates this and makes a decision to do it differently in the future. Should I ever repower, this area will get inspected and likely be glassed over prior to new motors being installed.

L.R.

Reaction score
Bought a 2005 Seafarer [226] a few months ago.Had the Engine removed and had the Exhaust done. While it was off,I took the Aluminum trim off to seal it.To my surprise,the Transom cut out was all Glassed! I cleaned the Aluminum up ,put enough sealer so that when I screwed it down..It squeezed out all edges.A rag and Acetone cleaned it up.I won't have to worry about it for a long time.. :)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've scratched my head about the transom cap topic bc way back in 99 the Voyagers were capped with glass.
I wonder if some models didn't get this or if many assume the aluminum cap means nothing underneath changed.?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
family affair said:
I've scratched my head about the transom cap topic bc way back in 99 the Voyagers were capped with glass.
I wonder if some models didn't get this or if many assume the aluminum cap means nothing underneath changed.?

Family Affair. I have a 1999 Voyage delivered in Aug of that year and was curious about how I would know whats under my transom cap? I have one edge that the screw has pulled thru? No cracks on the transom so I really not sure what to do? would like to remove the cap and seal the gap but not sure if it was done in 99? I have bought the 4200 and would like to seal and replace the screws at a minimum. Unfortunately you have to pull engine to pull cap. that really sucks...Thoughts?

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3,429

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
From what I remember, we unscrewed what we could get too and pulled the cap back far enough to get a good look. To be honest, I can't remember what it looked like under. This was at least 3 years ago. My Dad pulled it back as I was working on something else. He was confident it was well sealed. I trust his judgement considering he extensively rebuilt a salvaged 20 overnighter including the transom.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

BTW, we tore into it because of the sealant joint shown in your photo. I do remember removing a little if the rub rail and re sealing this area. We didn't go further because of what I mentioned above.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
family affair said:
From what I remember, we unscrewed what we could get too and pulled the cap back far enough to get a good look. To be honest, I can't remember what it looked like under. This was at least 3 years ago. My Dad pulled it back as I was working on something else. He was confident it was well sealed. I trust his judgement considering he extensively rebuilt a salvaged 20 overnighter including the transom.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

BTW, we tore into it because of the sealant joint shown in your photo. I do remember removing a little if the rub rail and re sealing this area. We didn't go further because of what I mentioned above.

Thanks. I have put the greatest repair on it with Haha duct tape and will seal with the 4200 when it's warmer. I was looking at today and it's so cold I just touched one of the hoses going to one of the plastic thru hull above water fitting and it just snapped off. Time to replace all those plastic fitting. Never ending story but we will be ship shape in the spring.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
What specific fitting broke?
I've been wondering how long some of the above water plastic fittings will last and have been in denial that they might need replacement.

Our boat has spent most of its life out of the sun, so who knows.

The only ones that concern me are for venting the euro transom. Can you think of others to be concerned about? Most of the others are bronze I believe.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
family affair said:
What specific fitting broke?
I've been wondering how long some of the above water plastic fittings will last and have been in denial that they might need replacement.

Our boat has spent most of its life out of the sun, so who knows.

The only ones that concern me are for venting the euro transom. Can you think of others to be concerned about? Most of the others are bronze I believe.

The only plastic ones i have are the ones you see in the photo above on the left side of the transom. One just like it on the right side (hole). There is a hose off each that loops around and goes to the plastic fitting down by the waterline up in the Trim tab well. The one in the trim tab well broke. I can get to the on the left side but there is no way to get to the ones on the right unless I remove the batteries and the battery switch board and I'm still not sure if i can reach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are really bridle.. Ordered new ones off Amazon.

Perko Thru-Hull Fitting f/ Hose Plastic MADE IN THE USA
by Perko
List Price: $10.75
Price: $5.44 & FREE SHIPPING
Molded white polymer thru-hull connection
For use with hose
Not for use below the waterline
1-1/8" hose size
5-year warranty

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I wondered how I would ever get to those. I better replace them before my son gets any bigger!

Let us know if you have any issues with the fit... if you can get that far!