PLanning for weekend get-a-way's

townvet

Reaction score
I am looking for help planning weekend get away trips for summer 2011. Does anyone have first hand experience with marinas they would recommend for a few day transient stay in Boston, Nantucket, Cape Cod, Bar Harbor and Newport. The searches on line show many many beautiful marinas...but nothing beats a first hand recomendation.

Thanks

lgusto

Reaction score
From our experience cruising the Northeast, moving South to North:

1. There's only one choice in Nantucket - the Boat Basin. Very nice, very upscale, very expensive.
2. The Black Dog on MV is OK, walking distance to most things, expensive.
3. The town dock at Marblehead is awesome, very inexpensive, walking distance to most things, terrific facilities.
4. Kennebec Tavern and Marina in Bath is great (my hometown, make sure you say hi), then take the inside passage to Boothbay Harbor where there's lots of choices.
5. There's no real facilities in New Harbor, but dock at Shaw's restaurant and buy a beer for the lobsterman sitting next to you at the bar. He'll set you up with a mooring for the night. Beautiful harbor, quiet, great food at Shaw's.
6. The town dock at Northeast Harbor is also awesome, very inexpensive, very quiet, walking distance to most things, terrific facilities.
7. Avoid Bar Harbor, nothing interesting to see other than tourist traps, poor facilities.

That my report. Let me know if we can be of any other help. If you'd like to do any fishing while you're up this way I'd be happy to join you.

Larry

capeguy

Reaction score
I would recommend Provincetown. Marina is right in the middle of everything. V short walk to Commercial street with some of the best retaurants anywhere. Also great location for fishing, whale watching, beaches.

townvet

Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at Constitution Marina in Boston. Looking to gomdown over July 4 weekend 2011?

lgusto

Reaction score
We pulled in to check the place out a couple of summers ago. Very crowded, very tight, very busy (unhelpful) staff. We left and wound up at the Marblehead town dock which is awesome.

townvet

Reaction score
Thanks Larry,
I will steer clear. I am trying to find a place for July 4 weekend in Boston. Any suggestions?
Rows warf looks great but almost 7$ a foot.

lgusto

Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions for Boston, hopefully someone else will chime in. BTW, I think $7 is about the rate we paid in Nantucket, so that may not be out of line for Boston.

townvet

Reaction score
Well, I am certainly going to keep a good record and take lots of pictures wherever we end up staying next summer. I think it will be valuable to report on the good, the bad, and the ugly.