Potti Trouble

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat is in its fourth season and I have had more problems with the Jabsco electric head than all the other systems combined.
The original electric pump began leaking early in the second season so I purchased a "re-building kit" and attempted to replace all the gaskets. The gaskets that leaked were the two paper gaskets the are sandwiched around a thin stainless plate.

To replace these you have to remove four pan head stainless screws that screw up from the bottom. These screws are brittle (as is all stainless) and even with a screwdriver purchased to make sure the size was correct; I had a lot of trouble backing them out. Finally reamed the head off of one and had to drill it and use an "easy out" to get it out.

When I replaced them, I tried not to tighten them too much so that they would be easier to remove if I had to do this again. It leaked. I again removed the pump and tightened them more. It did not leak so I thought the job was finished. These same gaskets started leaking again at the beginning of last season. I tried to remove the screws but reamed two of the screw heads and broke the casing so I ordered a complete new pump. I installed the factory pump, glad that I didn't have to remove the four screws, and everything worked fine until a month ago.

Same gaskets leaking from the factory pump and again I tried to remove the four screws. I got them out but one is in bad shape and after putting it back in, I doubt I will be able to back it out again. Same paper gaskets installed and at this time the pump is not leaking.

My advice to the Jabsco engineer that designed this system if I ever get close enough to put my hands around his neck?

One, don't use paper gaskets. Technology has outdated the paper gasket 40 years ago. There are natural and synthetic materials that outperform paper 100 to 1.

Speaking of technology, the pan head stainless screw should be condemned to Davy Jones Locker, along with anyone that tries to use one. These screws should be Torx, Star or at the least, Phillips head so that they can be tightened down enough to stop leaks on a permanent basis. There is even enough room to use a bolt and that would be the best solution.

Both pumps were "factory new" and both leaked at the same place. Both were almost impossible to get to without damaging the screws or the casing.

If it was up to me I would turn the head into a beer cooler and buy a 5-gallon bucket but that might cause marital problems.

Am I doing something wrong here or is anyone else having the same problem?