Proper Use of the Live well

Mainegrady

Reaction score
I would like to start using my livewell for keeping bait while striper fishing.

I have never used one before. Is it as simple as liningup the valving, starting the livewell pump and plugging the drain?
I believe newer boats come with an aerater? Should I retrofit mine with one?

Thanks in advance

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Basically you have it. Set the valve for livewell, plug the livewell, and turn the pump on. If you haven't used the pump before I'd give it a 50/50 shot of it working, they have a tough corrosive life. Also if you never changed the hoses, I'd take a close look at them.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Turn the switch on, the pump will start itself and run continuously.

Forget about using washdown water hose when in livewell mode.

reelserious

Reaction score
My 272 has a long tube that screws into the center drain. This allows the water level to fill to the top of the tank and then drain out the top of it to the overboard drain. The tube is stored under the back seat where the batteries are located. This allows constant turnover of fresh salt water as opposed to a seperate aerator.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The OPs model has the overboard top level drain out the side. Intake water below it on side, so new water runs in horizontally across lower section.

A seperate pump with airaeter tube all internal will lessen the load of running the SW pump continuously. They sell these with suction cups look sliek bilge pumps .
Larger baitfish like legal porgies usually go belly up, perhaps they croaked on the fight up.

Running the SW pump all day (and night?) takes it's toll on batts, so protect the motor start battery.

3rd Day

Reaction score
Wash clean, install drain plug and fill with your favorite adult soda. Does a great job of keeping beverages cold. :wink:

Stonewall

Reaction score
Mainegrady,

If your livewell is equipped with the tube that fits in the center drain, you will notice it has drain holes in the bottom rubber piece too. Don't screw it it so far that it covers these holes. These allow the fish poop, which sinks to the bottom, to drain out too. Without these the nitrogen levels would get so high that all the bait would die.