Question about buying a GW 228 seafarer with a 225 Yamaha

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking at possibly buying a 2003 GW 228 seafarer back on the east coast. The boat has a 2003 Yamaha 225 outboard with the exhaust issue and it needs to be fixed. Supposedly it’s a $600 kit that you can purchase and I’ve read/heard that you can even do it by yourself. The guy wants $35k for the boat and I live out of state. The boat looks pretty nice besides the engine issue. Would this deter you from buying the boat? He said his mechanic quoted him at around $2k to do the fix but it over 2 weeks out. And that is a bit longer than I want to wait. The rest of the boat fits all of my needs from what I can tell. My concern would be buying the boat, bringing it out to Seattle and then having more issues with the motor or having to take it to a mechanic out here that might not be able to fix the engine for 2 weeks or more, and would waste the rest of the fishing season. Thanks for your opinions.

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
FWIW. Everything I have read regarding the exhaust issues is the power head has to come off to accurately assess the extent of the problem.
Please google the subject.
Good luck

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have also heard that the exhaust fix on those older Yamaha’s is only temporary in some cases and the engines still blow up after 600 hours or so after the fix.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
FWIW. Everything I have read regarding the exhaust issues is the power head has to come off to accurately assess the extent of the problem.
Please google the subject.
Good luck
I did Google it and it seems like answers are kind of all over the place. One forum member posted a link to the rebuild kit and it was between $600-700 and I saw a video where one guy even did the repair himself. I’ve got a 1965 mustang and have taken engines apart and put them back together, so I know a decent amount about car motors. That being said, marine outboards I’m sure are quite a bit different. The hours that a shop would need to do the repair are also way different. The seller of the boat I’m looking at said his mechanic told him it would take 5-6 hours to do the repair but one shop locally said it was over 15 hours. So I’m getting a few different answers and I just called Yamaha, in which it sounds like the kit is $641 but a few of the parts aren’t even available. They’re saying some of them are on a backorder for at least 4 weeks. At this point, I don’t think I can pay the full asking price of $35k, especially if I’m going to have to put another $2-5k into it just to go out fishing.

Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just got off the phone with a local dealer… they’re saying the parts are at least 4 weeks out and it’s around $2k to do the fix. That being said, they told me if they take the motor apart and the rest of the inside of the motor is rotted out as well, I’d be looking into having to buy a brand new motor. They also said that you can’t tell if the rest of the motor is rotted out until you start to disassemble the motor. Sounds like a very big roll of the dice.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all of the replies and for the wise advice from Ky Grady. After further consideration I'm going to pass on the boat altogether. The seller's mechanic was supposed to call me back, which he never did, as well as the seller didn't want to go much lower than his asking price of $35k. Called up a bunch of local marine repair shops as well as Yamaha authorized dealers and prices start around $2k on up to over $5k, or more, depending on how bad the damage is. My local GW/Yamaha dealer Jacobsen's Marine in Edmonds said it would be a minimum of $2k and that's if nothing else inside the motor had any issues. They said that if the rest of the motor was corroded or rotted out then it could mean having to buy a brand new motor... no thanks. On top of that, some of the parts in the $600 kit were backordered and were going to be at least 4 weeks until I'd see the parts, then have a dealer install them after that. And imo it's just not worth the time and potential can of worms that I'd be opening up with buying the boat. Had it just been the $2k and it was a guaranteed fix that could be done in a week or two, then that would've been a different story.

To anyone else looking at the boat I mentioned, it's also for sale on Facebook and is mentioned in the For Sale section of this forum... the seller mentioned he bought the boat about 6-7 months ago but was selling because his brother is an alcoholic and lost his job and was the only reason why he was selling it. He mentioned he bought it from a dealer 6-7 months back and that he'd had the engine worked on before as well as thermostats and other things replaced since then. Which you'd think if that was true then the mechanic would've scoped the motor to look for or seen the dry exhaust corrosion issues long before now. I mentioned to him the dry exhaust corrosion issues that this vintage of Yamaha motors can have and then his story changed up some. He then said that he had his mechanic over early this morning looking at the motor, after I'd only talked to the seller for the first time yesterday morning, and the mechanic told him the exhaust corrosion was an issue. The mechanic claimed to be able to do the fix but was 2-3 weeks out, even though he made a house call within less than 24 hours? Either way, I've not heard back from the mechanic, the seller says he called him several times and asked him to give me a call, as well as I called him and left a voicemail yet no call back. As this point, there might not even be a mechanic? I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe the seller bought the boat from a dealer, didn't have it inspected, realized the problem with the exhaust 6-7 months later and is now trying to sell it because he doesn't have the money to fix the issues? Again, I'm not positive this is the case and I try to give someone the benefit of the doubt but I also haven't heard back from the seller after calling him a couple of hours ago and left a voicemail telling him about my concerns. Thanks again for all of the great info.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that the exhaust stack corrosion issue was a problem for those earlier model years. In the past I would be leery of 2005 thru late 2007 model years. Is that not the case?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I could be way off but I think by even next year some of these boat prices will start to come down. You found this guy bailing after 6 months. It’s not a $35k boat without a reliable engine imo.

some of these used prices are close to new prices 10 years later. Hell I’d rent the rest of this season when you want to go and wait it out for some quality to pop up.

Reactions: billyttpd

seasick

Reaction score
Per Google, it says the first gen of the 225 Yamaha 4 strokes between 2000 and 2004 were the most susceptible models for the corrosion issues.
Well if google says so, that it must be true:)
Actually, I have always thought that the 2005, 2006 were the more problematic model years. It's really hard to know for sure since I can't get actual statistics documenting the number of repairs.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bought two 2005 F225s last winter, and after some "delayed" maintenance they are very reliable. I also bought a $50 borescope and spent a good while checking them out. No corrosion to speak of.

Fact of the matter is many Yamahas have had a corroded dry exhaust collector, but it's a small percentage. As with so many things, you only hear from folks that had the problem. I don't think blanket categorization of the F225 as "unreliable" is very accurate. FWIW...

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Yea, the folks on TheHullTruth are wild about it and are all Mercury guys...haha...I have a 2002 273 Chase and had those motors. No issues in this regard and I threw a rod in 2018 with 1900 hours...only issue I had was 1 wiring harness.

Interesting for sure.

r

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the replies. I figured the prices wouldn’t be this crazy over the summer and had looked for one all through last winter. Found a couple but each one had issues or a seller that didn’t want to cooperate at all. The boat has been pulled from Facebook and is now on both Boat Trader and Boats.com. Buyer beware as he’s dropped the price and doesn’t say anything about the issues with the motor. Hopefully the prices drop down quite a bit over the winter and can find one then as the prices this summer have been crazy.