Radio/Speaker upgrade

3rd Day

Reaction score
I'm the owner of a 1993 232GT Gulfstream and I'm trying to run speaker wires to an area of the bulkhead near the companion seat. I have not been able to locate an access from the helm radio box to this location. The bulkhead would a perfect speaker location. Has anyone done this ?. Thanks for any suggestions.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure of access points on your boat, but typically if you start at the box, the wires will need to be run through the helm, from there down the wire chase and then accessed somewhere from the cabin, possibly from behind the head or in that vacinity and that will give you access to the wire runs under the deck, you can use the in deck circular inspection hatches to run the wire from location to location, typically you will need to run the wires outboard from the helm wire chase to get access to under the companion seats. There should be an access port in or near that bulkhead as well. I recommend using a wire puller/creep stick.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... =240969538

It will allow you to easily run the wire from access point to access point, and also aids in running wires down the helm wire chase if you have a lot of wires run and it is a tight fit.

You might have to do a little peaking around and open each access hatch to see how to run the wires, looking at your owners manual and how the wire diagram's run wire's will also help give you some input into the exact way to run these wires. You should have access to get to this location without a problem, just need to put in a little time to search out the exact route. If you have 2 guys, it makes life a lot easier to poke around and run the wire's, but the creep stick will allow you to do it alone, without a creep stick you will have difficulty running wire's, they will want to curl and might make running them a pita. Good luck, hopefully this helps get you started and maybe someone with your model can chime in with more details.

3rd Day

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. What I have found in my search is that all areas are sealed from the bulkheads to the deck/structures making for a tighter built boat. I suppose that's why Grady's are so highly rated. Good luck selling yours. Thanks.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
This past weekend I just ran new speaker cables to (2) new locations in my boat that sound very similiar to the locations your describing. The speakers will be located directly outside of where captain and passengers feet would be if they are sitting in the helm chairs.

Before starting any wire pulls you will want to be sure you can make the wire route from start to finish to where the speaker will be located.

Gradyfish is right about the owners manual, it shows the pvc chases and runs where you can get wires to about anywhere you need on the boat. These chases penetrate the bulkheads below deck for this purpose and usually end at the plastic inspection plates.
Pop them all open and see what looks like it connects to where, they are all straight runs.

Also make sure you buy substantially more wire than you think you may need, it disappears quickly.

Good luck, what kind of speakers are you installing?

3rd Day

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Walkers Edge. Yes we are talking about the same location on the bulkhead. I looked, but did not see any piping running from side to side. I used the tubes on the starboard to run wires for the rear and located box speakers out of sight under the gunnels. I installed a Sony head unit with 52 watts per channel with the Sony 5.25" speakers and they are currently located in the radio box under the hardtop. The system sounds great but from past experience, (this is boat #6) I'm thinking I could get even better sound utilizing the cabin space as a speaker box. I'll have a look on Friday AM when I get off work. Thanks again. Brooks

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I can second that about getting some sound into the helm area! Its the only way you will be able to clearly hear music at cruise. The box speakers I just put in are WM brand but increase the volume for the capt x3.

In regards to the wm speakers, I used them on a previous boat with good results, 60w max/ch, held up well, decent sound quality for the $$......definitely not JL's though.

No visible speakers or wires which is the way I like it.

3rd Day

Reaction score
The box speakers are WM brand and are excellent for the $$$. (especially on sale!) I'll post my findings and results.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Speakers in the bulkhead leaves the ugly end of the speaker in the cabin, unless you cover them with a box or something. In the 208 there are storage nets and just really no place I wanted to interfere with mounting that way.

Box speakers worked great under the decks in the helm area, and flush mounts when into the gunnels. Pics below. I did a whole thread on the system install, but I guess the good stuff doesn't get archived as it's long gone.

I added a 600watt amp to power a 10" sub, it mounts under the passenger seat in the helm area. Talk about upping the sound quality. That single feature took it from mundane to fantastic.

Here's a few pics of my install:

speakers_rear1.jpg

speaker_L.jpg

sony_head.jpg

amp_install.jpg

speakers_rear2.jpg

3rd Day

Reaction score
Thats a nice looking stereo install, thanks for the pics. I'm still looking for an access. Thanks again.