Remote Oil Tank

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
I have twin 2001 Yamaha 200 hpdi's. When I started the engines this past weekend, both Yamaha gauges at the helm indicated both remote oil tanks were low on oil, i.e. solid bar on the left and blinking bar in the middle. Both remote tanks are full and I always keep them that way. The oil tanks mounted on each engine are full as well. Anyone ever experience this? Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

seasick

It's odd that both tanks would do the same thing. So, it has to be something in common; perhaps a problem in the wiring harness. Do both remote tank senders connect to a common harness?

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
The closest thing I can find to a common harness is at the helm gauges where some of the connections are shared, i.e. power to gauges. There are a few other "shared" connections but I cannot identify their functions. I was considering the possibility that if a remote tank sensor failed its failure would be reflected at the helm gauges. Thoughts??

seasick

dmcneane said:
The closest thing I can find to a common harness is at the helm gauges where some of the connections are shared, i.e. power to gauges. There are a few other "shared" connections but I cannot identify their functions. I was considering the possibility that if a remote tank sensor failed its failure would be reflected at the helm gauges. Thoughts??

Yes but what are the odds that both senders failed at the same time?

Have you tested the remote pump just to make sure it is still connected? You can use the manual pump switch to test.

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Remote tank

Thanks I will give that a try. I agree the odds are very slim that both senders failed at once. I think I am going to have to track down a loose connection.