Removing Stripes From My Grady

Tim67580

Reaction score
I have an 84 223, I am looking to remove the stripes, and may or may not replace them, that can be determined at a later date after the hull sides are buffed out.

I know there are several threads on this, but my stickers appear to be very hard (I assume original). What methods are best to remove? Every thread seems to say the peel right off with a heat gun, I spent about 30minutes with a heat gun and a razorblade and didn't really have much luck starting at the stern of the boat made maybe an inch or two of progress before getting frustated and quiting.

Please let me know what tools, methods, or tricks might work best for this. Thanks!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I found out the hard way that acetone would remove the stripes on my '86 ... :shock:

Pay2Play

Reaction score
There is a rubber eraser type wheel you use on your drill. I think it's made by 3m. Probably can pick one up at napa or a auto body supply. It worked for me.

JeffN

Reaction score
I carefully heated mine with a heat gun and used a plastic scraper then cleaned off the glue with goo gone or acetone, can't remember which. A bit of work but not too bad.

seasick

Reaction score
On a hull of that age, there is a very good chance that the outline of the stripes will be visible even after removing them. That is due to the gelcoat discoloring over the years from sun exposure

Tim67580

Reaction score
I have purchased replacement striping material, at this point the plan was to remove and compound the hull sides. If the discoloring is too much then I could install new stripes.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
seasick said:
On a hull of that age, there is a very good chance that the outline of the stripes will be visible even after removing them. That is due to the gelcoat discoloring over the years from sun exposure

Yep, after removing the decals the hull under the stripes will be tan colored (original Grady gelcoat color) but don't obsess over it, just wax the hull and splash the boat.
By next season the stripe will be barely noticeable at all due to the Suns' bleaching it out so it matches the already weathered "white" hull color.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You've probably got it figure out by now, but...

The heat gun works great if the vinyl is still in decent shape. Once the vinyl has "dried out" (for lack of better words), it gets stiff and only comes off in small pieces. While a NEW razor blade can be safely used (slightly round the corners off), I wouldn't suggest that you experiment with this procedure if you've never done it... at least not on your own boat!

The 3M eraser wheel mentioned above works FANTASTIC for old tape. Just remember to only go in one direction (sort of "against the grain") or the tool will loosen up and fly apart... don't ask me how I know! Once you get a comfort level with it (happens quickly) you can go pretty quickly with it. It is definitely worth the money.

Dennis
Currently looking at an '83 241 Weekender...

armand

Reaction score
Tim67580 said:
I have an 84 223, I am looking to remove the stripes, and may or may not replace them, that can be determined at a later date after the hull sides are buffed out.

I know there are several threads on this, but my stickers appear to be very hard (I assume original). What methods are best to remove? Every thread seems to say the peel right off with a heat gun, I spent about 30minutes with a heat gun and a razorblade and didn't really have much luck starting at the stern of the boat made maybe an inch or two of progress before getting frustated and quiting.

Please let me know what tools, methods, or tricks might work best for this. Thanks!
try goo be gone

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
armand said:
try goo be gone

That stuff will work VERY well (as will acetone or naptha) on the residual... well... "goo" that is left over after removing the actual stripe. But it won't do much, if anything, until the stripe is removed.