Replacing access doors

jim f 232

Reaction score
Hi all.... I'm trying too locate some black Plexiglas Grady used for compartment doors on my 1990 232. Does anyone have any information where this material can be purchased?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Straight or curved?

McMaster Carr sells sheets of the stuff, the color may not match but...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Look in your local yellow pages for plexiglass, there are also guys who make marine products out of it - check your Fisherman periodical

Plexiglass fabricators to the retail industry for custom display cases and the like may get you a better deal.

Be sure to ask for black plexiglass, in the thickness you need.

gw204

Reaction score
I always told myself that if something ever happens to those doors, I'm taking the whole stinkin' panel out and fabricating a new panel that has a proper size opening so you can actually get in there and do stuff.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wouldn't mind if the bilge cover was on a hinge instead of sealed and screwed down. Don't get me talking, I'll be referring to Boston Whaler designs soon ! Just like I do every time I have to get in there.

I just relocated the SW pump to the transom, and got rid of the oil tank remote fills, stinking 1.5 inch hoses getting in the way !
Why oh why do 2.5 gal oil tanks need an 1.5 inch fill hose, same as a 150 gal fuel cell ??

Bought a long funnel for 4 bucks.

jim f 232

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I have tried a few Plexiglas fabricators, thickness seems to be an issue. McMaster Carr I never thought of and since these are straight panels there's a pretty good chance they might have it. All panels will be changed so color match should not be an issue.

Thanks again!

The general

Reaction score
Looking to replace cabin door plexiglas on my 33 express cracked

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I haven't tried it yet, but after polishing poly headlights on the cars, I thought that it might work on those doors. 3M has an inexpensive kit available at NAPA. I think I paid around $17. for it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sailfish25, let us know how headlight kit works. I'm considering it (for headlights too).

Also, popdisplays on ebay (who does 5 free cuts) and eplastics.com can get whatever you want. Plexiglass is an acrylic comes in many name brands.
If you want black, get black. Lexan is not the same.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you need to polish the doors due to stains/dullness, I used the Buff Magic and polisher with great success. Doors look like new.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have to say that the Shurhold system is amazing. When I first got the boat, it was very dull of course and the white chalking was all over. It is very easy to handle their polisher, no way to burn or damage the finish and just load up the wool pad with buff magic and go to town. It just glides over the surface and quickly brings out the shine. Just don't overload the buff magic. A little goes a very long way. Get too much and then you have a lot of resistance and then it is harder to remove. If doing it right, it will remove it's own residue, that way you know you have not used too much.
Then followup with their polish and it is protected for a while. Will just have to keep up with the polishing step so I don't have to go back to the Buff Magic step.
I have used on my eisenglass to see how it does and it did improve it quite a bit. Haven't had time yet to go over all the eisenglass and boat.
It even worked well with the nonskid texture on the gunnels and swim platform. Of course, don't polish the floor even though one really would like to so it will clean up easier ! :doh

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've polished the headlights on my wife's Expedition and I was amazed how well they came out. I have not had a chance to try it on the doors on the boat.