Replacing Lewmar windlass

PhilFishes

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Grady fans: I need your input! My GW 236 comes with a Lewmar windlass that has frustrated me. Too often, the windlass gets stuck -- particularly where the chain ends and the line begins. I've varied the chain size as well as the size of the line, but this problem persists!

I'd like to upgrade to a better windlass. Do you have recommendations you can share with me? Thanks in advance.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What Lewmar model windlass do you have? I have a Lewmar ProFish 700 and have had trouble with the rope/chain splice. Lewmar won't really help if it isn't their anchor rode and chain. Mine was a deal with Defender. Eventually I found a way to get the splice to feed.

seasick

Reaction score
Grady fans: I need your input! My GW 236 comes with a Lewmar windlass that has frustrated me. Too often, the windlass gets stuck -- particularly where the chain ends and the line begins. I've varied the chain size as well as the size of the line, but this problem persists!

I'd like to upgrade to a better windlass. Do you have recommendations you can share with me? Thanks in advance.
You probably don't need a new windlass. You need the correct chain and line in addition to a well made splice. You can buy a Lewmar made chain/line setup from Lewmar There are also a lot of other offerings out there but it has to be the correct chain. You shouldn't be trying different spec chains. Yours is probably G4 spec chain and that spec should be stamped on the links but as mentioned, your issue may be a simple as a bad splice or the wrong size line..

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree with Seasick. The issue is not the windlass - well, more accurately, the gypsy. Unless the gypsy is just completely worn out from years of use.

The issue is the rope to chain splice. It needs to be the proper size rope for THAT gypsy (probably 1/2"... check the gypsy for the stamping) and the splice needs to be made nicely/neatly. A lumpy splice won't work in just about ANY gypsy.

Another possibility could be an old/stiff/salted up rope... but if the ?new? rope you tried is actually new rope, and of the correct size, then that obviously isn't the issue. That brings us back to the splice.

It's all about the splice.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have found on my GW Gulftstream, that I switched from 3-strand to 8-strand plait (more of a braid). The 3-strand would 'kink' in the anchor locker and lock up as coming in to the Lewmar Fish windlass I have. Then I'd have to clear it, often having to go to the cabin to access it.
It happens much less often when using 8-strand plait. I also added a remote to operate the windlass, allows me to clear and operate it when I'm at the bow.

seasick

Reaction score
I have found on my GW Gulftstream, that I switched from 3-strand to 8-strand plait (more of a braid). The 3-strand would 'kink' in the anchor locker and lock up as coming in to the Lewmar Fish windlass I have. Then I'd have to clear it, often having to go to the cabin to access it.
It happens much less often when using 8-strand plait. I also added a remote to operate the windlass, allows me to clear and operate it when I'm at the bow.
The new 8 plait is 'softer' than the older 3 strand and plays out/lays down better. It's all about the vertical distance from the pile of rope in the locker to the capstan. When the pile of line gets bigger, the distance to the capstan gets shorter and then there may not be enough line hanging to sort of pull the line out of the gypsy.
One trick that sometimes works is to wash and soak your line overnight in a bucket of water and fabric softener. That can help the line lay down easier and flatter.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldpizza

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On my 2003 330 I have the original Lewmar windlass and it still works great - I do re-grease it every season. I use 1/4" HT chain. I have settled on 1/2" mega plait line. I had problems with too much stretch using 8 - plait and it resulted in some slippage. I highly recommend the mega plait - it's been flawless. Of course, the splice is critical - have a professional do it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have 250' of 1/2" 8-plait and 2-' of 1/4" chain. This is way too much for my small anchor locker. If I let out 500' of anchor line I frequently have trouble swallowing the splice. The line is all balled up and not stacked properly in the locker. I move the rope around to flatten it out and the windlass works just fine. As I said above I had a lot of trouble finding a place that would work but eventually (about 10 tries later!) it finally worked.

I anchor in shallow water (25') and jump around to different spots. This Lewmar windlass works well for me.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Both my gradys have had lewmar windlass's. Both vertical and horizontal models. Each one has been a little finicky with the splice going through, but it will always go through. I currently have a vertical model with the lewmar chain and 8 plait rode combo as I couldn't find anyone local who could do an 8 plait splice and I didn't want to try when I replaced the chain/rode with more chain. I have found that keeping some tension when the rode and chain splice goes through the windlass will help too. Use the recommended rode/chain for the windless, make sure there is plenty of drop from the windlass to the bottom of the locker and that they gypsy is tight.

seasick

Reaction score
I have 250' of 1/2" 8-plait and 2-' of 1/4" chain. This is way too much for my small anchor locker. If I let out 500' of anchor line I frequently have trouble swallowing the splice. The line is all balled up and not stacked properly in the locker. I move the rope around to flatten it out and the windlass works just fine. As I said above I had a lot of trouble finding a place that would work but eventually (about 10 tries later!) it finally worked.

I anchor in shallow water (25') and jump around to different spots. This Lewmar windlass works well for me.
Note that just selecting chain by thickness (e.g. 1/4 in) is not enough. You have to match the spec of the chain to the gypsy.
I have collected four different lines with chain from old boats. All were 1/4 in diameter links. All were different link lengths and widths and NONE were G4:) All sort of worked but would bind up, slip, jam etc. The new G4 spec and 1/2 line I eventually purchased made me smile when dropping anchor and more importantly, retrieving anchor. Yes occasionally the line with tend to bunch at the gypsy when it has piled up too high in the locker but most times a simple burp of drop line followed by a burp of retrieve will clear the bunching
To be completely honest, I carry only about 150 feet of rode.

Fishtales

Reaction score
8-plait line with 1/4" chain.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My rope/chain splice half down the rope and half up the chain has been working fine on my Lewmar ProFish 700. I could not get other splices to feed and I tried a dozen times before getting this one to work. The rope is a little worn so this Summer's project is to reverse the rope for a fresh end and re-splice the chain.

Also the rope piled too high in the locker affects it. More in there than should be but occasionally I want the length. If I put a lot of line out it bunches up on the way in. Knock it down and the spice feeds fine.

Anchor Rope Chain Splice 2.jpeg

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I had tons of trouble with my Lewmar windless. Finally after 2 anchors, I only run the windless from the bow MY self. Watch carefully that it's always feeding properly.

Reactions: coldpizza

PhilFishes

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Thanks for the input here, folks. After having had a lot of trouble with the splice getting caught up in the gypsy, I'm feeling pretty tired of the situation. Am thinking about a) changing over to ProFish 700 and b) switching to an all-chain rode (so ... no splice). I'm not anchoring overnight or in water that is particularly deep, so this seems to me like it would be a simple, bulletproof option. Does this sound reasonable to you, or am I missing something?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I hear what you're saying about being frustrated. But before you throw money at it...

Have you verified what gypsy you have and what its specs are compared to what chain you're using and rope size?

Have you gotten the splice re-done by a pro? I really feel this is your first step (assuming the sizing is correct, of course). You can't blame the windlass if the rope/chain/splice are the real culprit. You shouldn't "experiment" with sizing - you need to use the EXACT size the gypsy dictates.

But, if you're going to go with all chain, you don't need to ALSO change the windlass. Just use what you have. You'll want to buy or make a snubber (just a simple clevis hook will work) to have onboard, though.

PhilFishes

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I did have the splicing done by a pro. He's well-respected here in town ... but this is still not working. But your point about double checking the chain size is a good one.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would just hate to someone spend a ton of money when the fix might be simple.

Another thing to look at is the spring tension of the finger. If that's worn/loose/light, then the rope slips on the gypsy.

seasick

Reaction score
I did have the splicing done by a pro. He's well-respected here in town ... but this is still not working. But your point about double checking the chain size is a good one.
Look at the chain links for a spec that should be stamped on it.
Most likely your chain should be G4 (43) spec.
Here is a link to various chain specs. Scroll down to the G4 section. The specs for 1/4 G4 are listed. Although there are several versions of 1/4 chain, only G3 is correct. Measure the internal link length of your chain and the internal width and compare to the table. If your existing chain link's inside length is not 0.845 inch ( just under 7/8 inch) it is the wrong spec.