Replacing the transom on a 26’7” Grady Express 2001

Captsinbill

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Have a quote on this for 12,000 + taking the motors off and on in Miami complete coosa board

Captsinbill

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
It’s a big bite but a full transom and closing the top without the aluminum strip - very reliable and meticulous people doing it. The people who I bought the boat from our checking with Grady to see if cloosa boardis OK with them. I am looking for ways that I can have the people who repair it recorded so I can increase the insurance on the board and if I ever decide to sell have it documented

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
thats not a terrible price, especially given that you are doing it in miami.

while in there, replace the deck drain hoses. its probably the best access you will ever have to them

Captsinbill

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
thats not a terrible price, especially given that you are doing it in miami.

while in there, replace the deck drain hoses. its probably the best access you will ever have to them
Thanks a lot - will do - never ever thought about that

Reactions: Ekea

Fishtales

Reaction score
Everything keeps going up.... Prob the going rate for it to be done by a reputable glass shop.

Captsinbill

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
The cost is ok but want to make sure that all is included like coosa blueboar 26 - and what else should be done at that time

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have used Coosa Bluewater 26 board on a few of my projects. Full sheets are expensive but you don't really need a lot of it for a transom and stringer project. If the shop you are using works with Coosa board they should have partial sheets. Overall the cost of Coosa vs a quality marine plywood isn't that significant in a $10,000 job. Shipping is expensive. Need to buy from a local marine store that deals with a distributer like Mesco or Merrit Supply. Online doesn't work unless its small.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I asked my fiberglass guy (Miguel's boat repair in Santa Clara) what a transom costs and he said $20K. He's really good so that is priced in.
$12K sounds cheap to me.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like the difference in pricing between different locations to me... the east coast oftentimes has items for quite a bit less than the west coast. Especially with regards to higher priced items like boats, trucks, cars, RVs and even homes, etc. I'm sure a call to a local fiberglass shop up here in the Seattle area would probably be in that $20k range as well, or almost double what it cost the OP back in Florida. Which is why I've purchased all of my boats back on the east coast, they're half the price or less of what they sell for out here locally.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My local glass guy quoted $10k two years ago. I would expect $12k would be about right on East coast.

Fishtales

Reaction score
With this repair, finding a knowledgeable and reputable shop trumps the cost. I'd be pissed if it wasn't done properly and I started getting cracks.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I asked my fiberglass guy (Miguel's boat repair in Santa Clara) what a transom costs and he said $20K. He's really good so that is priced in.
$12K sounds cheap to me.
damn, if i lived out there and needed it done, id get the boat shipped to the east coast, get it fixed, ship it back, and still save money.

i honestly dont know how you west coast guys deal with being out there.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
damn, if i lived out there and needed it done, id get the boat shipped to the east coast, get it fixed, ship it back, and still save money.

i honestly dont know how you west coast guys deal with being out there.
It's just money. We tend to make more on the west coast and the cost of living is higher and that trickles down to the trades.

Fishtales

Reaction score
it's the sign of the times. everybody is jacking up prices because they can.