REPOWER: Time for new outboards???? Need advice

stephendudra

Reaction score
I have a 1999 GW Chase 263. Currently rigged with twin 225 OX66. After a trip to the ledge this past weekend and an issue with one of the engines, I am wondering if it might be time to consider a repower.

Any advice guys? I contacted one friend here local that is a Yamaha dealer and he told me to contact GW to see if putting 4 strokes on it is even an option. He thinks my only choice is HPDI's.

I am sure that someone out here has done this already and can provide me some great advice.

I look forward to all replies.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
What was the issue? Must've been pretty bad to look at spending probably 20k plus on a repower.

jellyfish

Reaction score
call Grady cust service and see if the weight of a pair of 4 strokes will work on that transom. The 4 strokes are about 150 lbs more then the 225 2 strokes, so your looking at adding 250 to 300 more pounds hanging off the back of the boat. There are a lot of used 1990ies Gradys out there that have the newer 4 strokes on them. I would think on that hull you would be okay, but your deck drains might be under water. Best to Check with Grady and see what they say. The HPDI weigh less and are about the same as what you have on there now.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
you can put a 4 stroke on no problem if you trailer

the main problem is the scuppers, not the weights

you can re-enforce it with aluminium angle iron

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You want to stay with Yamaha or something else?

You want 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

stephendudra

Reaction score
update

If I was to repower, I would want to try to go to 4 stroke and would consider all manufactures.

I do trailer my boat. I am wondering what the person meant to reinforce it with angle iron. Can you elaborate?

stephendudra

Reaction score
Update from Danny at GW

I just got off the phone with Danny. he said moving up to the yamaha 150 would be no problem. However, going to something bigger means that i would have to glass the current mounting holes up and move them as the new engines are 28.5 inches off center where the older ones are 26.

Another thing to consider is if the 4 scuppers on the side would need to be relocated. He has heard that these would need to be moved approximately 1.5 to 2 inches higher due to the added weight of the bigger engine.

HPDI can be put right on the back with no issues he said.

I guess after the mechanic looks it over, I will see where that takes me. I really hate to put new engines on it to be honest as the OX66's do run great. But to continue to have issues is driving me nuts! It is the little things that bother me the most......

Thanks for listening guys and I hope it is something simple and I can get back to wahoo fishing SOON!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No match to HPDI

4 stroke -

F150s
Suzie 175 (my choice).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Only for Yamaha V6 4 strokes, do you have to do anything with holes in transom.

No other 2 or 4 stroke V6.

stephendudra

Reaction score
bobp

do you not like your HPDI's?

Why not? The F15o will work, but I will loose a LOT of speed that the boat currently has with the twin 225's on it currently.

The suzuki might be a better choice but I would have to get all new gauges and throttles......

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
>> ... but I will loose a LOT of speed that the boat currently has with the twin 225's on it currently.

I'm curious what you're basing this statement on. Looking at the GW web site and checking out the performance of various boats, I've been very surprised at how little difference there is at top end between single and twin f150s vs f200s. I can't imagine your twin 225 OX66s gives you much more speed. AmI missing something here?

Gary 89 Overnighter

richie rich

Reaction score
Going from twin 2S 225's V6 to F150 4S 4 cyl will lose 150 total HP plus the bottom end power of a 2S....that's a lot to lose...I have not seen the test results for top end but you're gonna notice that drop coming out of the hole and to plane for sure. If F150 is the heaviest you can go, I'd get the bigger HPDI's instead.

And moving scuppers 2 inches higher? For a fish box maybe OK, but have you checked to see if the actual scupper would then be higher than the drain on your deck? That won't work too well....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you looked into the new F series motors? They're only about 50# more per motor.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I would go with the 200 HPDI's. I have had them for 4 years now and they are great motors without even a hicup. :D

Tunacious D

Reaction score
HPDI's x3. Repowered last year and after my initial struggles with wanting four strokes, the only ones available at the time that would fit the bracket and did not weight too much were the Suzukis. They are excellent motors, but the dealer/service network her in C FL isn't the best. I settled on the HPDIs and they are wonderful. Quiet, don't smoke, excellent hole shot, efficient (went from 1 NMPG to 1.5 to 1.8 NMPG), and start immediately. Everything the four strokes have except for potential resale value. I am planning on keeping this one until its ready for another repower, so that wasn't a consideration. I know the new 4-stroke yamahas will weight less, but not sure about their centerline spacing. Still might not work with your Chase.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I repowered my old OX66 motors with 200 hp HPDI motors. I had throwen a rod and had to do something. The factory reman 200 hpdi motors including the allowance for my one good and one old bad motor with rigging cost me under $13000. My oil use dropped in half, my normal cruising speed at 4000 rpm went up by 7 mph. I reused the same controls and props, and didnot have any problem with weight, bolt pattern, or anything else. I now have a wonderful boa (272 sail) and power cmbo.

alpumpdup

Reaction score
marty did you have 225's on your sailfish??....and are you saying that it only cost you 13k for new 200 hpdi's and rigging?.......where did you buy the hpdi's....thanks

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I had 200 hp Ox66 motors on my 272, and yes my dealer provided me with 2 200 hp Hpdi motors with rigging for $13k plus my old engins. The 1st engin had under 100 hours on a factory new powerhead and the 2nd motor was a 0 hour powerhead, that he ordered and installed for me. both engins had new water pumps, anodes and anything else that he felt was needed to make the motors new again. They were purchased from and installed by Campbells New Generation Marine in Sommers Point, NJ. Ask for Corkey or Kieth. These are both gentelman that I would trust with my wife, Daughter and boat, Marty :D :D

bc282

Reaction score
RUMBLEFISH said:
I would go with the 200 HPDI's. I have had them for 4 years now and they are great motors without even a hicup. :D

waiting for the new F225/250's might be a good choice as they are significantly lighter, but you still may encounter the "re-glassing issues" of the scuppers and/or transom which would not make me crazy happy.

the twin 200 HPDI's are a very good option IMO too. I had the 150HP version and was very happy with it and for 3 years had zero issues (sold boat after 3 years).
they are very economical to run, quiet, smokeless, powerful, and the prices of these are "cheap" compared to a F200. You likely could also find a low hour used pair for a good price too.