Repower

jim f 232

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has repowered with the e-tec 135s. Talking with the rep I was told that a pair of these would be an equal replacement to my existing Yamaha 150 2 strokes since these e-tecs produce 148 HP. Weight is about the same (418lb) , cost about 2000.00 less than e-tec 150. My biggest concern of course is performance on my Gulf stream, looking for as much input as possible.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
I was looking at a pair of honda 135 2 stroke was told by several dealers i would not be happy with them.(not enough power) I will say I do not need the 225s i put on either.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 200's on mine and love them. I wouldn't go with any less than twin 150's. If the E-tec's produce close to that they may be OK. I have no experience with them.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You have to be skeptical about the "actual" hp of outboards. The information is usually an internet myth that comes from a single test with a sample size of one.

It is impossible, even with modern manufacturing procedure, to produce engines with exactly the same power output. The hp of an outboard engine has to be within 10% of the rated hp. So some 200 hp units might produce as much as 220 hp or as little as 180 hp. When you consider the effects of different break in procedures and operational histories, you can understand why this is true. It's easy for a manufacturer or a fanboy of a particular brand to select data from the best of their favorite products and the worst from their competitors.

I wouldn't skimp on hp with a Gulfstream. Go with at least the 150s.

Brigator

Reaction score
I have a gulfstream that that I repowered from Yamaha 150 2 stroke to Yamaha 150 4 stroke. I loss initial torque by gained in mpg. The top end stayed the same. Go 4 stroke you will love how quiet they are and no oil :)

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jim - That sounds like the 135HO which is the same block as the 150HP and 175HP I believe. The HO is high output which explains the extra horsepower for that model. The "normal" 135HP is a physically smaller engine. The HO's are great deals as you have discovered. You can tell which engines use the same blocks by looking at the weights.

As for noise - the E-Tecs are just as quiet as 4-strokes, if not quieter, at cruising speed or above where it counts. (They are all quite at idle.) See report here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... -dB-levels

As for fuel economy, the four-stokes are a little better at a cruising sweet spot which tends to be slower than the E-Tec's cruising speeds, while at trolling speeds the E-Tecs are a lot more economical and at WOT, they are about the same. See reports here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20748

Finally - if have more questions on E-Tecs, go here:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

Good luck,
-Scott